Come February 22nd, the Whitefield community will come together to celebrate green living at the 9th edition of the Green Bazaar in Bengaluru. Called ‘Eco Habba’, the event will be a commemoration of all that is ‘green’ about Whitefield.
Date: February 22nd
Time: 7 am to 7 pm
Venue: Herbs & Spices Restaurant, Opp. Vijaya Bank, Whitefield
Click here for event details.
A press note from The Alternative says water warriors, kitchen gardeners, voluntary traffic wardens, tree huggers, compost conquerors, spot-fixers, lake-savers – all these local heroes will get together to inspire those people who are looking to be inspired. Considering the many teething troubles that the area has seen with development, this is an opportunity for those looking to make a difference to take the first step.
Workshops, talks and DIY sessions to introduce consumers to simple practices towards conscious living in their homes.
- Mighty Millets: Learn to cook with healthy, but underrated millets. Preeta will demo rice dishes, south Indian breakfast snacks and more.
- Fruits, Shoots, and Leaves: Priya Anand, one of Bangalore’s most prolific kitchen gardeners will give people a 101 on starting their own kitchen garden.
- 2 X H2O: Smarter Dharma will talk about smart solutions for water recycling in your community.
- I ♥ Kaapi: Arshiya Bose of Gaia’s Cup offers an insight into sustainable coffee.
- Flour Power: Meeta Walavalkar of Soul Bakers shares what really goes into the process of baking bread.
- Black Gold: Looking to start composting? Daily Dump has an interactive course on home composting.
- Eat Right!: Naturopathy practitioner and nutritionist Atraeyee Niharchandra will talk about everyday food practices that can usher in lifelong good health.
Walks and rides
- Bi-Pedal Bangalore: Head out for a fun morning ride in Whitefield with Zest Pedal and also learn about bike maintenance and sustainable commute.
- Whitefield Heritage Walk: Learn about Whitefield’s little known history, its famous residents, its forgotten churches and its rapidly-changing geography from longtime resident, Deepa Peck.
- If Trees Could Talk: Unnikrishnan talks about the trees in Bangalore through a walk inside Herbs & Spices
Local heroes showcase
An informative and fun, interactive showcase of successful sustainability initiatives by citizens in Whitefield: Waste segregation and management, Rainwater harvesting and recycling, Lake Restoration and Biodiversity Conservation.
Schools like Inventure Academy, DPS, KK School and Deens will showcase high impact environmental and social initiatives that children are championing at their schools at the Green Schools Corner.
Children’s nature carnival
- Tetrapak Up!: Devika Krishnan will teach kids to repurpose wasted tetrapaks into something beautiful.
- Drama Queens and Kings: Deepti Sharma will guide children on expressing themselves through drama and speech.
- Little Green Thumbs: Gardening workshop for young ones.
- Kinetic Kiddies: An activity designed to teach life skills through movement and expression.
- World in a Flower: A storytelling and nature walk to help children fall in love with nature.
- GQ, Green Quiz: An activity to turn those grey cells green.
- Sidewalk Games: A gaming corner with street games.
- Tales Everywhere: All day storytelling sessions touching upon various socially impactful themes and experiences.
- Nature’s Canvas: Children will sketch trees and the natural environment with charcoal
This is where you will find the best of Whitefield’s sustainable product makers – organic, preservative-free food, recycled and upcycled home and lifestyle products, children’s books and educational kits, handspun fabric and apparel, waste management solutions for the home, certified organic agro products, chemical-free skin and body care goodies, products for sustainable menstruation, natural products with the goodness of fruits and berries and more.
Click here for the listing of stalls at Eco Habba.
The grand finale of the day will be an energetic music performance by the students of TAAQ Academy of Music. This will begin at 6 pm.
Put your other weekend plans on hold and join the movement for a better Bengaluru. Even if you are not a resident of Whitefield, do attend for you might just be inspired to have a Green Bazaar in your neighbourhood too. For a glimpse of what you can expect to see at Eco Habba, click here.
The organising team
The Green Bazaar is a celebration of earth-friendly living, bringing together products, conversations and experiences that help urban consumers live more consciously. The Bazaar is held every alternate month and has seen 10 editions till date in Bangalore and Chennai. More info: facebook.com/thegreenbazaar
The Alternative (www.thealternative.in) is a platform focused on sustainable living and social impact. It promotes ideas of social good in everyday life through their online publication, a sustainability bazaar and a children’s program on sustainability.
Whitefield Rising (www.whitefieldrising.org) is a community dedicated to the welfare of residents of Whitefield. It is a platform for changemakers, where citizens come together in focus groups to brainstorm and address matters of incredible importance to those living and working in Whitefield. The list includes water, garbage, lakes, traffic, stray dogs, trees, pollution, governance, grievances etc.
Lake Alive: Puttenahalli Kere Habba 2015
Shade the city green at the Neralu Tree Festival