People who want to flock MG road area during New Year’s Eve, please keep this in mind. Bengaluru Traffic Police says that traffic will be restricted in the heart of the city, around the MG road area, in the interest of public safety and convenience, on the night intervening between December 31st and January 1st.
Reliable, useful journalism needs your support.
Over 600 readers have donated over the years, to make articles like this one possible. We need your support to help Citizen Matters sustain and grow. Please do contribute today. Donate now
A press note from Traffic Police has this to say:
1. There will be no entry for vehicles except police vehicles and vehicles of essential services on duty, from any direction from 8 pm on December 31st up to 1 am on January 1st on the following roads.
- MG road, from Anil Kumble junction up to the junction with Residency road near Mayo Hall.
- Brigade road, from Cauvery Emporium Junction, up to the Opera Junction.
- Church Street, from its junction on Brigade road up to the junction of Museum road.
- Museum road, from its junction with MG road up to its junction with Old Madras Bank road.
- Rest House road, from its junction on Museum road up to its junction on Brigade road.
- Kamaraj road, from Cauvery Emporium junction to Cubbon road junction, and Cubbon road junction to Arts and Crafts Emporium.
- Residency Cross road, from Residency road to MG road (Shankarnag Theatre junction)
2. Parking of all types of vehicles except police vehicles and vehicles of essential services on duty is prohibited from 4 pm on December 31st to 3 am on January 1st on the following roads.
- MG road, from Anil Kumble junction up to Trinity Circle.
- Brigade road, from Arts and Crafts junction up to Opera Junction.
- Church Street, from its junction with Brigade road up to its junction on St.Marks road.
- Rest House road, from its junction on Brigade road up to its junction with Museum road.
- Museum road, from its Junction on MG road up to its Junction with Old Madras Bank road.
3. Vehicles parked on MG road, Brigade road, Rest House road, Church Street, Residency road and St.Marks road in the areas specified in point 2 should be removed by the owner(s)/driver (s) before 4 pm on December 31st, failing which they will be towed away by the police and fined.
4. After 8 pm on December 12th, vehicles coming from the direction of Queen’s Statue junction on MG road and proceeding towards Halasuru and beyond will turn left at Anil Kumble Circle, at BRV Junction, turn right into Cubbon road and proceed on Cubbon road and join MG road near Webb’s junction.
- Vehicles proceeding in the direction of Cantonment areas, from Halasuru will turn right near Trinity Circle and enter Halasuru road, turn left on Dickenson road and proceed towards Cubbon road.
- Parking of vehicle is allowed on both sides of Kamaraja road from Kamaraja road junction to Commercial Street junction.
- Public can also park their private vehicles on the 1st floor of the BMTC Shopping complex in Shivajinagar Bus Stand.
5. On Brigade road pedestrians only can proceed by walk from MG road junction to Opera junction; walking in the opposite direction is prohibited. Instead, if they want to come to MG road, they can do so by proceeding via Residency road cross (near Shankarnag theatre cross)
6. Movement of vehicles on the flyovers will be closed from 9 pm on December 31st to 6 am on January 1st, so as to avoid incidents like accidents, crashes etc.
7. A special appeal to the joyous public celebrating the New Year Eve especially with drinks: Designate a driver/rider who will abstain from consuming alcohol. This is to ensure safety of selves, as well as other road users, and to keep the New Year celebration accident-free and people-friendly.
8. Road users/motor cyclists who cause inconvenience to other public by indulging in rash and negligent driving or those indulging in wheelies/drag racing will be dealt with sternly. Citizens are requested to contact the traffic helpline number, 103 or 100, in case they come across any such situations.
*Picture credit: By Vinu Thomas from Bangalore, India (MG Road) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons