How to re-register your vehicle in Bangalore

Namma Bengaluru is home to people from across the country. While a good number of people depend on public transport or company-arranged travel to commute around the city, there’s likely to be an equal number driving around in their own vehicles. Given the fact that Bangalore has a sizable migrant population, there are many vehicles from other states entering the city now and again.

Getting your own vehicle from your home state is perfectly all right, provided all your documents are in place, you get the vehicle  re-registered in Karnataka and pay the prescribed tax.

The Karnataka Motor Vehicles Act 1957 makes it mandatory for all vehicle owners to change their address to a local address within 30 days from the day the vehicle enters a city, followed by a change in the registration number/number plate.

Procedure for re-registering a vehicle

Step one: In your home state

You will need to procure two documents from your home state, where your vehicle has been previously registered:

1) Police report from any police station at your hometown to  authenticate your records.

2) No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the original Registered Transport Office (Transferor) in CMV Form 28.

Step Two: In Karnataka

Approach your area’s concerned Regional Transport Office (RTO) office. Here you are required to submit the following documents. Those items that are starred (*) are compulsory.

  • NOC in the CMV Form 28 or a postal acknowledgment that states that you have applied for the issue of NOC with the registering authority (in quadruplicate) *

  • CMV Form 27 – Application for Karnataka Registration Mark *

  • CMV Form 33  – Change of Address  (will cost around Rs 300) *

  • KMV Form 27 – Intimation of Migration *

  • State Crime Record Bureau (SCRB) report – can be obtained from 7th Floor, MS Building, KR Circle and costs about Rs 20 *

  • RC book

  • Tax card with proof of payment of tax

  • Vehicle Insurance Certificate

  • Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate

  • Consent of financier (if applicable)

  • Fitness Certificate and permit in case of transport vehicle

  • Purchase invoice (for RTO to arrive at tax amount) *

  • Three passport size photographs

  • ID Proof of applicant (Pan card/Voter ID card/Passport ID/Ration card) *

  • Present Address Proof (Rental agreement, Employee contract letter) *

  • Electricity or telephone bill of local premises

  • Self addressed postal envelope with adequate stampage (for RTO to mail documents)

  • Form KMV 14  – Payment of Tax (this will be given to you once you submit all the documents over the counter)

  • Demand Draft for tax amount to be paid in favour of Regional Transport Officer (Cash payment can be made for tax amount up to Rs 3000)

In case the vehicle has not been inspected earlier, the RTO may ask to produce it for inspection as well.

The forms above can be obtained from the RTO office or can be downloaded online free of cost. There are typically several shops near the RTO office which sell the form as well.

How long will the re-registration take?

The RTO website mentions that the new registration mark will be assigned on verification of application and documents and have stated that the documents will be delivered in two days time. A post on on the re-registering process  stated that it while the website stipulated two days for processing the documents, in reality it could take 15 to 20 days. In case the applicant does not receive the documents within that time, he could go to the RTO to figure out the status of application.

D R Prakash, a social service activist and member of Osborne Road Area Resident Welfare Association says that while the change in address takes place with immediate effect, the re-registration will happen only on receipt of COA (Confirmation of Authenticity) from the previous registering authority. Sometimes there is delay in the process, and this might take a few months,  but it will not exceed 11 months.

He adds, “A vehicle can run for a maximum period of one year in another state with the old number, from the date of entry into the state. If COA is not obtained even within the stipulated period, the registration will stand invalid and vehicle will be liable for seizure.”

How much tax are you liable to pay?

For re-registration of your vehicle in the state that you migrate to, you need to pay Lifetime Tax. It is referred to as LTT as the life of a vehicle is considered to be 15 years. This was also earlier referred to as Road Tax in the late 1980s, where it was being collected once a year. The RTO found out that it was losing out on income as a result of tax evasion and implemented payment of tax at one shot in the form on Lifetime Tax.

D R Prakash, adds, “LTT is calculated on the basis of invoice value and age of the vehicle. In absence of the invoice, the current value of the vehicle is considered for deriving the quantum of tax. However, it is advisable to submit your invoice while paying LTT.”

As per Part A1 and A5 of CMV Act, the LTT tax is applicable as follows:

A vehicle is considered as new for first two years from the date of purchase mentioned in purchase invoice. The older the vehicle, the lesser the road tax one needs to pay, as the value of the vehicle depreciates.

Other payments applicable:

Payment of the tax must be made across the counter in cash and a receipt will be provided immediately. This is applicable for cases where the tax amount is below Rs 3,000. If the tax amount exceeds Rs 3000, a demand draft must be drawn in favour of the “Regional Transport Officer”.

For change of address within 30 days from the date of change in residence, the applicant is required to pay Rs. 20. In case of delay, Rs 100 needs to be paid.

Issue, renewal of RC or assignment of new registration mark costs Rs 60 for motorcycles and Rs 200 for light motor vehicles used for non-transport purposes.

In the State Budget for 2013 – 2014, provisions had been made to introduce an electronic payment facility in order for people to make the payment of tax and fees without visiting the Regional Transport Offices. This is yet to be implemented.

As per the State Budget for 2014-12014, amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act, to prevent vehicles registered in other states, from plying  in Karnataka without paying the LTT have also been suggested.  

Obtaining a NOC from the previous RTO

To obtain an NOC from the previous registering authority (transferor), the applicant must apply with CMV Form 28 (in quadruplicate). The NOC must then be submitted at the RTO in Karnataka for re-registration. 

If the previous registering authority fails to provide an NOC even after 30 days from the date of application, you can legally apply for a new registration number in Karnataka (the state that you have moved to). For this, you must provide a copy of the Form 28 that has been submitted with the previous registering authority, a postal acknowledgement of the same (For e.g. registered post receipt), and a declaration with the following statement, ‘The application for NOC has neither been rejected nor any reply received from the previous registering authority’. This needs to be submitted to the registering authority in Karnataka and signifies that the original authority has no problem with you applying for a new registration number.

Verification of documents

  • The registered owner will be required to be present along with the vehicle at the time of inspection .
  • The required documents are to be produced along with challans for verification in front of the Superintendent . These papers are required to be submitted at the inward counter and an acknowledgement can be obtained for the same.
  • New registration number will sent by post
  • New registration number or “Mark Card” will be issued by post. To get  this  applicants need to submit a self addressed, secured envelope (light green with cloth lining) with adequate stampage).
  • Once the RTO office verifies the documents submitted, a new registration number will be issued in 15 days.

What if you are caught without re-registration?

When you are pulled up by the Traffic Enforcement Authority, you can show the acknowledgement issued by RTO; this will prove that you have applied for the registration.

If you have not applied for re-registration, you will be penalised as per the rule under Section 44 read with Section 177 of the Motor Vehicle Act, which states that failure to register the vehicle for more than 12 months, can lead to penalty of Rs 100 for the first offense and Rs 300 for the second and any subsequent offences.   This is in addition to the tax that needs to have been paid from the vehicle’s time of entry, along with interest.


On receiving new registration number, you can apply for refund of Life Time Tax to the original RTO office in the state which you have migrated from. Here, the sooner you apply, the higher the refund you will get. The refund amount can be ascertained here.

For application of refunds from the Karnataka RTO, click here.

Also read: Non-KA vehicle owners want road tax rules changed

Additional resources:

RTO office timings: 10 am to 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm to 5 pm

Cash transactions : Only between 10 am to 2:30 pm

Forms pertaining to vehicle registrations and related services

A migrant from Gurgaon shares his experience of re-registering his bike in Bangalore on his blog.

A Chennai-ite shares the list of documents one needs to carry to re-registering a vehicle.

Did you like this article? Help us publish more such articles. Support Oorvani Foundation!

Related Articles

BBMP: No adverts in your private vehicle
Dear BBMP, fine vehicles parked on roadside

for reading Citizen Matters, of course. It would be fantastic to be able to thank you for supporting us as well. For 12 years we have strived to bring you trustworthy and useful information about our cities. Because informed citizens are crucial to make a better city. Support Citizen Matters today.


About Nikita Malusare 109 Articles
Nikita Malusare was a Staff Journalist at Citizen Matters.


  1. Hi Sir,
    I own a car registered in Kerala and got the OC and paid LTT in KA and wanted to change the registration to KA. I was told that to first get the address changed and then only I can apply for registration changed. I got the RC From KA with the local address and KL no. Now what is the procedure to get the registration changed to KA? (I was told I need to wait for 90 days)
    Thanks in advance for your time.

  2. Dear Rohan Kumar Shetty, Do you have to pay anymore fee for registering in KA passing? Assuming you have already paid the LTT while applying for smart card.

  3. Dear Mr. Prakash, Read your post justifying the collection of LTT. In my opinion collection of Life Time Tax again is unnecessary and illegal. For the benefit of citizens we should actually fight against this rule. Extremely surprised to hear that RTO is spending the money to maintain the roads in Bangalore. The condition of roads in Bangalore and even near by areas of many RTO offices are pathetic. Recently my vehicle damaged due to a huge pothole in the road. Can I apply for claim from RTO as they are supposed to maintain the roads ? The re-registration fee should be legitimate and the LTT has to be paid only when some one buy a vehicle. It is Govt. authorities responsibility by co-coordinating with other state department to transfer the LTT once paid to their state. The poor common man should not suffer if there is no coordination between Govt. departments. They have to run around many times to complete all these work and end up in spending more money and time. I had terrible experience of going several times to RTO and going from one floor of the building to another several times. Another is the nexus between agents and officers. If you go through an agent things will happen quickly. The system is highly corrupt mainly due to all these non sense rules. We have intimated in local circle initiative by the new Govt to resolve such issues and abandon such rules which are made to penalize public.

  4. Dear Amit Rath,

    Yes, you can use it, but it will be accepted only if it is REGISTERED. Instead, if you are employed, can give a letter on the company’s letterhead mentioning your details of employment and your residing address.

  5. Dear Amit rath,

    You require an address proof to pay the tax. The amount depends on the invoice value, if you have OR on the basis of the table available with RTO with appropriate depreciation, which please refer on to the table given above.

  6. Dear Ashwani Jain,

    Yes you have to provide your local address and pay the tax. You will have one year time to get re-registration done, if you continue to stay here.


    Forget about the time taken by the RTO. At times it takes more than the stipulated period. The due date will be mentioned in the acknowledgement issued. Till such time you need not worry and that acts as your RIGHT document.

    In case you do not receive even after the due date, please call on the RTO and check. Nothing else to do. Keep calm.

  8. Hi D.R.PRAKASH,
    Have moved to bangalore along with my 6 year old swift from Bhubaneswar. I have got the NOC in the month of July 2014. Right now i want to pay the LTT. Could you please guide what else document the RTO personnel may ask the time of paying LTT and how much expected cost has to be incurred.
    Thanks in advanve

  9. I moved to banglore last week from Gurgaon, I need to keep my gurgaon number and want to pay LTT here in banglore.
    what is the process for that and do I need NOC from gurgaon also.
    also it is mentioned that I need to change the address also so for that where I need to apply for change in Gurgaon or in banglore

  10. Hi,

    I have applied for Re-registration of my i20 car which has a Gujrat – GJ passing, RTO officials have taken my original RC, NOC from Gujrat RTO and relevant forms for the same along with tax paid receipt copies (KA tax is highest in the country). They have given me an acknowledgement stating it will take 30 days to get my new RC (smart card) with change of address with GJ passing . Once i receive new RC with same GJ passing , then i need to apply for Re-registration for KA passing, it will take another 60 days. Is it the right process or they are unnecessarily delaying, which i am not sure Please guide me whoever has gone through this process in Bangalore RTO.

    Please post ,

  11. Hi Nikhil:

    Mine was also same problem, that I could not find the invoice of the bike. From your query, it seems your bike is just 2 years old, so you can approach the showroom from where you purchased the bike and ask them to give you invoice copy. They will provide it to you without any cost (I got it the same way).

    They need details like name of the owner, bike registration number, model, year, etc.. Just call them and ask them that you need invoice copy.

    If you have obtained NOC, you will not have RC.

    Once you get invoice copy, approach the RTO with NOC and invoice copy, pay the tax, apply for address change, wait for 90 days, then go back and apply for new KA number.

    I have practical experience in this as I went through the same thing for my AP bike.

    Post back if you have further queries.

  12. Dear Srinivas:

    Yes, it is right that first you need to apply for address change, and at the same time, pay LTT. After paying LTT, you need not to bother about which number plate you are using (AP or KA) for the period until you re-register your vehicle. The RTO is more concerned about collecting tax from vehicles rather than obtaining KA numbers.

    So, pay LTT and roam around happily. Keep the tax challan with you safely always!!

  13. Dear Sir,

    We have moved my car from AP to Bangalore recently and received the NOC certificate on 30th august.
    Today visited RTO office and came to know from the agent that first i need to apply for change of address and pay the LTax. The registration number will not be issued for 90 days period and I will need to visit the RTO office again after 90 days for the registration purpose.
    Question is if we pay the LTax on 10th Sept then can we use the car with AP registration number for 90 days period without any problem?

    Please advise is this process correct one?


  14. Hi Sir,

    I am applying for NOC from UP (my car registraion is of UP), for that I need to submit Form 28 (in 3 copies), Original RC etc.. They will then issue me the NOC by signing the form 28. However, I am worried if I will get the Orignial RC back or not as this is required for me to apply for re-registration in Bangalore.

    Also, as you mentioned there is a clause that we can apply for registration if we haven’t received any updates from previous RTO in 30days by providing the acknowledgement from Postal department. I will not have original RC as this would have been sent for UP for NOC clearance. Then how Bangalore RTO would accept for registration without orignial RC.

    Please help me to understand this better.

  15. Hi,

    I moved my 2 year old bike form AP to bangalore some 3 months back. I got my NOC from AP. Now I am ready to pay LTT in bangalore. But to my surprise I cannot find my invoice of bike. This is required to pay LTT. Now what can I do? I need to apply for registeration since I got an NOC and there is NO RC with me. Please give some suggestion.


  16. Dear D.R.Prakash,

    Thank you very much for your info. We were really scared to take the vehicle out after reading all the harrasements that RTO has been carrying out. So we decided to give back the vehicle since the name also not yet transferred. We are aware how our government offices work to get back the refund amount from one state & applying in other state. And all we have to do in a hurry due to the current status in bangalore. It is a pain…. But I will continue to fight with my other friends agaisnt this issue who are genuinely have come here for work for short terms, what the RTO currently doing is completely unfair. Thanks – Swarna

  17. Dear Mr.Sankar Kumar,

    The validity of your NOC is just ONE year. For For fitness after 15 years, you have 30 days time without penalty. After that it will be charged at Rs.100/- maximum.

    You can give a ‘Power of Attorney’ to your son to get everything done on stipulated time. As per RTO schedules, nothing can be done in ONE day. All that you have to do is that file your requirement and will receive the documents by post at your door.

    Even now the vehicle will be valued at the invoice price, if you have duly deducting as per prescribed depreciation / reduced value, as per the table given in the write up. The information given by the clerk has to be verified by calculating on the cost, to find out its correctness, which we can ignore for now as it is a past story.

    As per the advice of the Mangalore RTO, you can obtain a CC and get things done over there, without getting it to Bangalore.

    Forget the idea of scrapping, if it is in GOOD condition. These are SIMPLE procedures, but time consuming due to its nature and security reasons.

    You can ask your son also to feel free to contact for any clarifications, if need be.

  18. Dear Ms.Swarna,

    If you want to apply for an NOC, first it should be transferred to your name, for which you will require address proof of TN. If it is feasible do it that way. Then it will be just transfer of registration (Re-Registration) from TN to KA. If not ask your friend (Previous Owner) to apply for an NOC and proceed further. Then it will be change of Ownership as well as Re-Registration.

    You need not worry about any loss of value, as you have purchased a KNOWN vehicle from a genuine owner, as well as might be at a BETTER deal. All these procedures are common and you need not take it into account madam.

    Feel Free to get any other clarifications, if need be.

  19. Hi Swarna,
    I wonder how the Financier gave the loan without NOC & Police Clearance Certificate for TN vehicle as I dont think both docs are available with You. I suggest please ask your previous owner to file for NOC(Form-28) in parent RTO & also for Police Clearance Certificate in police commissioner office(egmore) on the TN Reg #. In NOC (Form 28) there is a line where the owner can mention the new car owner name and also to which RTO authority transfer, in your case its KA03.

    Hope this Helps!!

  20. Hi Abhishek,

    Your Friend gave wrong info, till first 2yrs the depreciation is same which is 93%. Since its a bike, penalty on Road tax will be within INR 500, take your NOC to Bangalore RTO, since NOC is 14 months old(they will accept the NOC as it only crossed 2 months from 1Year). If they refuse you will however be allowed to pay Road tax with penalty. Road Tax will be calculated from Jun 2013(as stamped in NOC) [Vehicle Cost = Invoice Amount * 93%(93% for less than 2year old vehicle) ] Road tax will be 12% of Vehicle Cost + there is a CESS charges which is between 300-400.
    Road Tax challan will be given in cash counter immediately with your UP Reg# in it when you deposit the Demand Draft. You have to fill Form 14 for Tax calc + Vehicle Invoice Copy. Tax will be calculated by Superintendent in Form14. If NOC is accepted, KMV 27 form (other state migration form with Chassis Pencil mark) + Form 28 in original (2-3 orig. copy as given by UP RTO) + RC book in original should be submitted. RTO will take the original Form 28 & RC book original and issue a Karnataka Smart Card(by Post) with local KA address with same UP Reg # (Temp. Card) within 1 month. Once you receive this smart card you have to wait for 2 months & file for re-registration for KA #. You can however continue using same UP # on KA Smart Card as I did for 2 years without submitting for re-registration, I was caught twice during that time but they let me go when I showed the KA smart card (with TN#) as they only cared for the Road tax paid.

    If you want to avoid penalty, on your own risk, wait till Nov 2014, your vehicle cost will be 87% for 2 year old vehicle. But you will have to get a new NOC(stamped after Nov2014) from UP. Get a Chassis pencil marking on new Form 28, also original RC book back to UP (can get it done thro friends), Not mandatory for vehicle to be present in UP RTO for new NOC.

    Note: Its a 2 step process, first you will receive a KA smart card with UP # (Temp. Card)then after 2 months apply for re-registration. This is bcuz the Form-28 submitted will be validated which takes 1-2months between the 2 RTOs. Next during re-registration you will fill a different form CMV-27(New # mark) & surrender the temp Smart card.

    Hope this Helps!!

  21. Hi Narayanan,

    You look like expert in this department of inter-state bike transfer and all formalities.
    Please guid me also.

    Well here is my story, please help me what to do…..I got my bike here in Bangalore on 25th June 2013 with proper NOC from my home town (Uttar Pradesh, Gorakhpur). I bought my bike in November 2012 , so I was told by my friend to re-register your bike after November 2013 as by that time it will be 1 year old and road tax which you will play will be less.

    So I drove till December 2013 and didn’t get chance to get my bike re-register at that time. Suddenly this big twist happened that I had to leave bangalore for almost 5 months due medical emergency at my home then I cam back here in May’2014. Even after that I could not able to decide how to deal with this RTO people and also due to fare of extra charge I still keep postponing.

    Please help me what steps I should take to get my bike re-registered here . Please tell also what max. amount will I have to pay including fine.


  22. D R Prakash Sir,
    I brought by Kerala Regn Matiz car in 2007 to Bangalore.Got NOC from Kerala and paid lifetime tax in Karnataka KR Puram. I went for getting a Karnataka Number within one year.There the clerk informed that reregistration amount will be calculated on original invoice cost(my car was 10years old) and would come to Rs 40000. He advised me to run the car without change of number plate as I have paid LTT in Karnataka. Subsequently I shifted to Mangalore and running the car there. But car is due for mandatory 15 year reregistration . RTO Mangalore advised me to go to RTO KRPuram to get cc and change of number plate and reregistration can be done in Mangalore. I have only one day available to go to Bangalore,as I am abroad and car is being run by son at Mangalore.
    Now my queries
    I have to get vehicle number to KA before reregistration due date.
    (1) Can I get CC from KR Puram to Mangalore RTO for my Kerala vehicle with LTT in Karnataka ? Can it be completed in one day?
    (2) Can I get change of ownership to my son’s name directly when cc is notified by RTO KR puram or I have do it again in Mangalore

    If nothing works out I wish to tell KR Puram RTO to allow me to convert the car to scrap.Car engine has just done 40000kms

  23. Dear Mr.Prakash,
    Thanks for your response.
    We reside at Indirangar, Bangalore. We bought this car from our friend, and the financing through an outsider. And we got the car to Bangalore. Hence we paid the first month EMI, and when we go next to TN, we will register it in our name. The model Is HYUNDAI i20 Asta 2012 model – march month purchased. We bought it for around 4 lakhs. As per my understanding, first we need to get the name transferred, only then we can apply for NOC in TN. Please correct me if am wrong. Also suggest us whether it will be a loss for us because of other state vehicle purchased in second hand due to the life time taxes, and all theses procedures etc., Thank you very much. – Swarna

Comments are closed.