How to re-register your vehicle in Bangalore

Namma Bengaluru is home to people from across the country. While a good number of people depend on public transport or company-arranged travel to commute around the city, there’s likely to be an equal number driving around in their own vehicles. Given the fact that Bangalore has a sizable migrant population, there are many vehicles from other states entering the city now and again.

Getting your own vehicle from your home state is perfectly all right, provided all your documents are in place, you get the vehicle  re-registered in Karnataka and pay the prescribed tax.

The Karnataka Motor Vehicles Act 1957 makes it mandatory for all vehicle owners to change their address to a local address within 30 days from the day the vehicle enters a city, followed by a change in the registration number/number plate.

Procedure for re-registering a vehicle

Step one: In your home state

You will need to procure two documents from your home state, where your vehicle has been previously registered:

1) Police report from any police station at your hometown to  authenticate your records.

2) No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the original Registered Transport Office (Transferor) in CMV Form 28.

Step Two: In Karnataka

Approach your area’s concerned Regional Transport Office (RTO) office. Here you are required to submit the following documents. Those items that are starred (*) are compulsory.

  • NOC in the CMV Form 28 or a postal acknowledgment that states that you have applied for the issue of NOC with the registering authority (in quadruplicate) *

  • CMV Form 27 – Application for Karnataka Registration Mark *

  • CMV Form 33  – Change of Address  (will cost around Rs 300) *

  • KMV Form 27 – Intimation of Migration *

  • State Crime Record Bureau (SCRB) report – can be obtained from 7th Floor, MS Building, KR Circle and costs about Rs 20 *

  • RC book

  • Tax card with proof of payment of tax

  • Vehicle Insurance Certificate

  • Pollution Under Control (PUC) Certificate

  • Consent of financier (if applicable)

  • Fitness Certificate and permit in case of transport vehicle

  • Purchase invoice (for RTO to arrive at tax amount) *

  • Three passport size photographs

  • ID Proof of applicant (Pan card/Voter ID card/Passport ID/Ration card) *

  • Present Address Proof (Rental agreement, Employee contract letter) *

  • Electricity or telephone bill of local premises

  • Self addressed postal envelope with adequate stampage (for RTO to mail documents)

  • Form KMV 14  – Payment of Tax (this will be given to you once you submit all the documents over the counter)

  • Demand Draft for tax amount to be paid in favour of Regional Transport Officer (Cash payment can be made for tax amount up to Rs 3000)

In case the vehicle has not been inspected earlier, the RTO may ask to produce it for inspection as well.

The forms above can be obtained from the RTO office or can be downloaded online free of cost. There are typically several shops near the RTO office which sell the form as well.

How long will the re-registration take?

The RTO website mentions that the new registration mark will be assigned on verification of application and documents and have stated that the documents will be delivered in two days time. A post on on the re-registering process  stated that it while the website stipulated two days for processing the documents, in reality it could take 15 to 20 days. In case the applicant does not receive the documents within that time, he could go to the RTO to figure out the status of application.

D R Prakash, a social service activist and member of Osborne Road Area Resident Welfare Association says that while the change in address takes place with immediate effect, the re-registration will happen only on receipt of COA (Confirmation of Authenticity) from the previous registering authority. Sometimes there is delay in the process, and this might take a few months,  but it will not exceed 11 months.

He adds, “A vehicle can run for a maximum period of one year in another state with the old number, from the date of entry into the state. If COA is not obtained even within the stipulated period, the registration will stand invalid and vehicle will be liable for seizure.”

How much tax are you liable to pay?

For re-registration of your vehicle in the state that you migrate to, you need to pay Lifetime Tax. It is referred to as LTT as the life of a vehicle is considered to be 15 years. This was also earlier referred to as Road Tax in the late 1980s, where it was being collected once a year. The RTO found out that it was losing out on income as a result of tax evasion and implemented payment of tax at one shot in the form on Lifetime Tax.

D R Prakash, adds, “LTT is calculated on the basis of invoice value and age of the vehicle. In absence of the invoice, the current value of the vehicle is considered for deriving the quantum of tax. However, it is advisable to submit your invoice while paying LTT.”

As per Part A1 and A5 of CMV Act, the LTT tax is applicable as follows:

A vehicle is considered as new for first two years from the date of purchase mentioned in purchase invoice. The older the vehicle, the lesser the road tax one needs to pay, as the value of the vehicle depreciates.

Other payments applicable:

Payment of the tax must be made across the counter in cash and a receipt will be provided immediately. This is applicable for cases where the tax amount is below Rs 3,000. If the tax amount exceeds Rs 3000, a demand draft must be drawn in favour of the “Regional Transport Officer”.

For change of address within 30 days from the date of change in residence, the applicant is required to pay Rs. 20. In case of delay, Rs 100 needs to be paid.

Issue, renewal of RC or assignment of new registration mark costs Rs 60 for motorcycles and Rs 200 for light motor vehicles used for non-transport purposes.

In the State Budget for 2013 – 2014, provisions had been made to introduce an electronic payment facility in order for people to make the payment of tax and fees without visiting the Regional Transport Offices. This is yet to be implemented.

As per the State Budget for 2014-12014, amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act, to prevent vehicles registered in other states, from plying  in Karnataka without paying the LTT have also been suggested.  

Obtaining a NOC from the previous RTO

To obtain an NOC from the previous registering authority (transferor), the applicant must apply with CMV Form 28 (in quadruplicate). The NOC must then be submitted at the RTO in Karnataka for re-registration. 

If the previous registering authority fails to provide an NOC even after 30 days from the date of application, you can legally apply for a new registration number in Karnataka (the state that you have moved to). For this, you must provide a copy of the Form 28 that has been submitted with the previous registering authority, a postal acknowledgement of the same (For e.g. registered post receipt), and a declaration with the following statement, ‘The application for NOC has neither been rejected nor any reply received from the previous registering authority’. This needs to be submitted to the registering authority in Karnataka and signifies that the original authority has no problem with you applying for a new registration number.

Verification of documents

  • The registered owner will be required to be present along with the vehicle at the time of inspection .
  • The required documents are to be produced along with challans for verification in front of the Superintendent . These papers are required to be submitted at the inward counter and an acknowledgement can be obtained for the same.
  • New registration number will sent by post
  • New registration number or “Mark Card” will be issued by post. To get  this  applicants need to submit a self addressed, secured envelope (light green with cloth lining) with adequate stampage).
  • Once the RTO office verifies the documents submitted, a new registration number will be issued in 15 days.

What if you are caught without re-registration?

When you are pulled up by the Traffic Enforcement Authority, you can show the acknowledgement issued by RTO; this will prove that you have applied for the registration.

If you have not applied for re-registration, you will be penalised as per the rule under Section 44 read with Section 177 of the Motor Vehicle Act, which states that failure to register the vehicle for more than 12 months, can lead to penalty of Rs 100 for the first offense and Rs 300 for the second and any subsequent offences.   This is in addition to the tax that needs to have been paid from the vehicle’s time of entry, along with interest.


On receiving new registration number, you can apply for refund of Life Time Tax to the original RTO office in the state which you have migrated from. Here, the sooner you apply, the higher the refund you will get. The refund amount can be ascertained here.

For application of refunds from the Karnataka RTO, click here.

Also read: Non-KA vehicle owners want road tax rules changed

Additional resources:

RTO office timings: 10 am to 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm to 5 pm

Cash transactions : Only between 10 am to 2:30 pm

Forms pertaining to vehicle registrations and related services

A migrant from Gurgaon shares his experience of re-registering his bike in Bangalore on his blog.

A Chennai-ite shares the list of documents one needs to carry to re-registering a vehicle.

Did you like this article? Help us publish more such articles. Support Oorvani Foundation!

Related Articles

BBMP: No adverts in your private vehicle
Dear BBMP, fine vehicles parked on roadside

for reading Citizen Matters, of course. It would be fantastic to be able to thank you for supporting us as well. For 12 years we have strived to bring you trustworthy and useful information about our cities. Because informed citizens are crucial to make a better city. Support Citizen Matters today.


About Nikita Malusare 109 Articles
Nikita Malusare was a Staff Journalist at Citizen Matters.


  1. Dear Ms.Swarna,

    Can you be more clear about your ownership and residential place at present. The tax depends on the model of the car and value.

    I fail to understand as to how your EMIs started without getting the name transferred. So to give a specific reply, please provide the details and also copies of documents.

    Thanks for your approach.

  2. Dear Mr.D.R.Prakash, I purchased a second hand i20 vehicle with TN registration just before the amendment from Karnataka RTO regarding non KA cars. Still I havent got the name transferred. But my EMI for the car loan started from last month which I have already paid. Kindly advise how to go about it and how much tax will be levied in bangalore? I want to get the registration done here as I will be staying in Bangalore permanently. Since am travelling very often to TN, am keeping all the toll bills & petrol bills safe with me. But still looking at the posts of various bitter experiences of the citizens, I need to get the right things done ASAP. Please help me on this. – Thanks – Swarna

  3. Dear Mr.D.R.Prakash, I purchased a second hand i20 vehicle with TN registration just before the amendment from Karnataka RTO regarding non KA cars. Still I havent got the name transferred. But my EMI for the car loan started from last month which I have already paid. Kindly advise how to go about it and how much tax will be levied in bangalore? I want to get the registration done here as I will be staying in Bangalore permanently. Since am travelling very often to TN, am keeping all the toll bills & petrol bills safe with me. But still looking at the posts of various bitter experiences of the citizens, I need to get the right things done ASAP. Please help me on this. – Thanks – Swarna

  4. Dear Mr.Saurabh,

    When one can gets things done by himself, why depend on others ? What is he over there ? If you have any doubts, contact the ARTO, who will be available in his chambers at all reasonable times. In his absence, Superintendent is the next person in-charge.

    Fill in the necessary forms as mentioned above and submit yourself and obtain ACKNOWLEDGEMENT, which is the proof till you get your documents. Processing time depends on the response of the other RTO in the particular case. The MAXIMUM time frame is also given above, please refer.

  5. Dear D.R.PRAKASH Sir, I have a contact person there and he is telling that new number can be obtained after 2 months and 15 days of getting new RC(paying LTT) with address changed. Is there any regulation like this ?

  6. Dear Mr.Gagandeep,

    Getting your old number is not assured. If you get the old number, the tax already paid will be adjusted. Otherwise, it is to be claimed and fresh tax has to be paid against the NEW number what you will be allotted.

    Our practically experienced friends have explained quite a lot, which please go through. You will get refund of the LTT paid at Delhi, only after getting Re-registration done over here.

  7. Dear Mr.Saurabh,

    You can apply for a NEW number anytime, but before ONE year of entry of vehicle into the State.The earlier you get Re-registered, you will get MORE refund, i.e. from the date of Re-registration. If you delay, you will be getting LESSER refund, as tax till that time will be deducted from the previous LTT paid.

  8. Dear Mr.Subramanian,

    If the RTO says, it is not mandatory for the invoice, they calculate as per their valuation chart. But if you have the invoice, they calculate as per the calculator published above in the procedure.

  9. Hi Gagandeep:
    To add further on expense in Bangalore RTO for reregistration..
    Re-Registration 200/-, Smart Card 137/-, Bio-metric sticker 63/-, Address Change 20/-
    Total 420/-
    For Road Tax : Hope you still have the challan of Road Tax paid in old KA#, else try to get a duplicate copy from your old RTO in Bangalore giving your old KA#.

    If Bangalore RTO has already received a copy of CMV 27 from Delhi RTO(new DL #), they will block the old KA Number. Once Blocked, for security reasons New KA # will be issued and YES you will need a NOC from your Delhi RTO (Form 28).

  10. Hi Gagandeep:

    You have to get NOC from Delhi RTO to re-register in Bangalore. You will not get old number if it has been issued to somebody else.

    As far as LTT in Bangalore goes, I think you need not to pay again as you have not claimed the refund. But to be on safer side, first approach the RTO (where you have previously paid LTT) and confirm with them that they have not processed your refund.

    If they have NOT refunded your LTT, ask them about the process. For example, if you have to claim the refund and then pay afresh the LTT; or will they adjust when you are re-registering.

    Ensure that you do this thing as soon as possible once you are Bangalore or before you come to Bangalore.

    Registration process details can be found on RTO bangalore website under other state vehicle registration section.

    The cost would be mostly for LTT, and as I mentioned above, you have to clarify with RTO about the options.

    MAKE A NOTE: The time you can use your car WITHOUT paying LTT is ONLY 30 days (recent amendment). To avoid hassles and seizing of car, get a fresh PUC just before you are bringing your vehicle to Bangalore and try to get a receipt from a petrol pump and a toll receipt (keep these safe so that the dates are not erased) and keep these with you at all times when in Bangalore. All these validate your presence in Bangalore for less than 30 days.

    Next, before 30 days of time, you MUST go and inform RTO about address change. Pay LTT (if you have to claim refund, option 1) OR get LTT receipt or confirmation on a paper from RTO that you have paid LTT in the past (option 2) so that you do not face any difficulties until the time of re-registration.

    Yes, you can get refund from Delhi RTO.

    One small advice: For car, you will be paying a huge amount of LTT and if you are getting NOC and not claiming refund, you will be losing so much in depreciation every year. It is better if you claim refund from Delhi RTO immediately after re-registering here in Bangalore and follow it up until it is done.

    Post back if you have any doubts.

  11. Hi

    I moved from Bangalore to Delhi in Mar 2013. Have obtained NOC for my car from Bangalore, re-registered the car in Delhi and got a new number.

    Now, due to a change in job, I am again moving back to Bangalore.
    What will be the registration process in Bangalore now?

    Do I need to get NOC from Delhi RTO? I have already paid life time road tax in Karnataka (not claimed for re-fund yet). Will I get the old number or not? What is the expected expense in this case of re-registration?

    And once I re-register in Bangalore, can I get refund of LTT paid in Delhi?


  12. Hello Ramesh,
    Since you have taken NOC and if you intend to stay in Bangalore for a long time (even if it is for 1 year), it is better you apply for new registration number in Bangalore. After you have got registered here, apply for Tax Refund (LTT) from AP RTO immediately. This way, you will get LTT back (after deductions) which you can compensate for LTT paid here in Bangalore. Otherwise, you will not get LTT (without registration here in Bangalore) and end up paying LTT at both places.

    Once you have decided to apply for new registration, post back for the process.

  13. I recently transfered permanently from hyd to bangalore, I took NOC there and Police veification Certificate. 3 days over now, Do we compulsory to register vehicle?
    The process above mentioned have so many steps.

  14. Hello D.R.Prakash sir, I paid LTT for my Car from Hyderabad and got new RC with change in address but same number. My question is, by when can i apply for New Number so that i can claim tax paid in my previous RTO. And also guide me the process for the same.
    Thanks a lot for the help.

  15. @D.R.Prakash sir: my vehicle was purchased in 2006 in maharashtra. I have moved to bangalore now. I am willing to pay the LTT, but they say an invoice is not necessary if the vehicle is registered before April1 2007. How will they determine the cost of the vehicle and how will they tax me ? at present I am still searching for my invoice. Kindly guide me through.

  16. Sorry Mr. Prakash.. I think this question is answered in this thread by Venkatesh… thank you for taking your time to answer my questions.

  17. Thank you Mr. Prakash. Just one more query if you could help me with. As I visited the RTO to inquire about the procedure, what they asked first and foremost was invoice of the bike. Unfortunately, I could not find one (I think my brother misplaced it). I heard them asking either invoice or “certificate” (sounds like). What is this certificate and how can I get one?

  18. Mr.Dileeprao Boinapalli, Yes, it is possible by getting his signatures on the required form i.e. form 29 and submitting it along with form 30 with other required documents as per rules. It is better you get the ownership transferred to your name first over the present place and then get it transferred to Karnataka to avoid un-necessary hassles.

  19. Hi Mr. Prakash, I intend to use it permanently, but I yet have to get NOC which I will do in the next 2 to 3 months when I visit my home, but before that, to avoid any difficulties, I want to pay LTT. As an add-on question, I would like to know is it possible to execute change of ownership with my brother in USA?

  20. Mr.Dileeprao Boinpalli, What is the reason for paying LTT over here ? Will it be used here permanently OR atleast for more than a year ? You can get a power of attorney from your brother and act on behalf of him OR send the required forms and get his signatures and you can pay the tax and get any other endorsements / changes made as per regulations.

  21. Hi,

    I have another state bike for which I want to pay life-time tax and use it here. I have few questions as below.
    1. The bike is in my brother’s name, who is in USA doing job. Do I need him to be here for paying the tax and use the bike?
    2. Do I need change of ownership to use the bike?
    3. How can I prove the length of stay in Bangalore (I got the bike by train transport, but I misplaced the receipt)?

  22. Mr.Suresh Nambiar, When one uses a vehicle for a short period in another state, less than SIX months, NEED NOT pay any tax to that particular state. If only the vehicle is going to be used in another state for a period exceeding SIX months and the owner resides in the new state, has to change the address and pay tax for that state. If the vehicle is going to be used for a longer period, even it has to get RE-REGISTERED. In your case, you can RELAX, complete your work and get back to your place WITHOUT any hassle.

  23. Dear Bikash, You will have to check with the local RTO on Penalty, please carry your vehicle Invoice, RC book, PUC, Insurance, DL, If you do not have a invoice , go to a local dealer of your ‘2wheeler’s make’ and ask for a certificate on the current invoice Cost of same vehicle model, RTO will calculate the depreciation Cost(4yr old 75%, 5yr old 69%, 6yr old 64%, 7yr old 59%,8yr old 54%) from this invoice Cost based on how old(RC book) your vehicle is, then with that value they will calculate 12% for road tax.

  24. The other option would be to get National Permit Composite Fee (pay necessary tax) and use vehicle anywhere in the country đŸ™‚ đŸ™‚ ….

Comments are closed.