A city which was known for its gardens is now just a city of dust. I have a few issues to raise and want to know the thoughts around it from my fellow Bengalurians. I’m also looking for the platforms where such isuues could be raised.
Reliable, useful journalism needs your support.
Over 600 readers have donated over the years, to make articles like this one possible. We need your support to help Citizen Matters sustain and grow. Please do contribute today. Donate now
1. Road Tax: Karnataka is a state which charges high road tax for any vehicle compared to another states. However, in past six years, I have not seen proper maintenance of roads in Bangalore, specifically south Bangalore. Where is this money going, is there any account?
2. No demarcation of stop lines or zebra crossings: The government does not have enough money to do a specific demarcation of roads and zebra crossing. This is one of the reason, people are half way through before signal becomes red. There is no place to walk for people because vehicles are stopped or dragged to the zebra crossing. So they start putting their life at risk and cross the road, even when the signal is green. These lines are now non-existent in Bangalore.
3. No consistency in the signals: Some of the signals have orange and become red. Some of the signals will blink 3 times green and then stop. Some blink 12 times. How a commuter will know what is what?
4. Potholes: I heard our Chief Minister said all roads would be repaired after Monsoon, did he refer to the monsoon 2015? I have seen that restlessness among people while driving is increasing. My questions is, if you get in to trouble like car damage or an accident due to road not done properly or signals not being managed properly, I think people should sue the city (BBMP) as other countries do. Because, the citizens are suffering as the authorities are not doing what they are supposed to do.
5. Recruitment: There are not enough personnel recruited to serve the growing needs. The money should be in surplus. Where are the accounts?
I am terribly disappointed by the fact that people are paying taxes and it evaporates. Now most of the people are opting for migration. I would not blame them. People are forced to violate laws in India. When every day is a fight here, who will like to stay here?