A press note from Bangalore Traffic Police details the plan for new year eve on MG Road and nearby areas. Here are the excerpts:
Support Citizen Matters - independent, Reader-funded media that covers your city like no other.
A large number of people, motorists as well as pedestrians, traditionally throng MG Road, Brigade Road, Residency Road, St.Marks Road and Church Street on the New Year’s Eve. In the interest of public safety and convenience it is necessary to restrict and regulate the movement of vehicular traffic and parking of vehicles on MG Road, Brigade Road, Church Street, St Marks Road, Rest House road and Residency road on the night intervening between 31/12/2014 and 02/01/2015.
- There will be no entry for vehicles except police vehicles and vehicles of essential services on duty, from any direction from 8 pm on 31/12/2014 upto 1 am on 01/01/2015 on the following roads.
Parking of all types of vehicles except police vehicles and vehicles of essential services on duty is prohibited from 4 pm on 31/12/2014 to 3 am on 01/01/2015 on the following roads.
- MG Road, from Anil Kumble junction upto the junction with Residency road near the Mayo Hall.
- Brigade Road, from Cauvery Emporium Jn. upto the Opera Jn.
- Church Street, from its Jn. on Brigade Road upto the junction of Museum road.
- Museum road, from its junction with the M.G.Road upto its junction with Old Madras Bank road.
- Rest House road, from its junction on Museum road upto its junction on Brigade Road.
- Kamaraj road, from Cauvery Emporium junction to Cubbon road junction and Cubbon road junction to Arts and Crafts Emporium.
- Residency Cross road, from Residency Road to M.G.Road (Shankarnag Theatre junction)
Vehicles parked on MG Road, Brigade Road, Rest House road, Church Street, Residency road and St.Marks road in the area specified in Para 2 shall be removed by the Owner(s)/ Driver (s) before 4 pm on 31/12/2014 failing which they will be towed away by the Police and fined.
After 8 pm on 31/12/2014 vehicles coming from the direction of Queen’s Statue junction on MG Road and proceeding towards Halasuru and beyond will turn left at Anil Kumble Circle, at BRV Junction, turn right into Cubbon road and proceed on Cubbon road and join M.G.Road near Webb’s junction.
- MG Road, from Anil Kumble junction upto Trinity Circle.
- Brigade Road, from Arts and Crafts junction upto Opera Junction.
- Church Street, from its junction with Brigade road upto its junction on St.Marks Road.
- Rest House Road, from its junction on Brigade road upto its junction with Museum Road.
- Museum Road, from its Junction on M.G.Road upto its Junction with Old Madras Bank Road.
On Brigade road pedestrians only can proceed by walk from MG Road junction to opera junction and walking in the opposite direction is prohibited. Instead if they want to come to M.G.Road they can do so by proceeding via Residency road cross (near Shankarnag theatre cross)
Movement of vehicles on the Flyovers will be closed regulated from 9 pm on 31/12/2014 till 6 am on 01/01/2015 so as to avoid incidents like accidents, crashes etc.
On elevated road to airport only LMV’s will be allowed and movement of two-wheelers and HGVs will not be allowed.
There will be special drunken drive checking done across the city, w.e.f 29/12/14 night till 31/12/15. On the night of 31/12/14 there will be intensive checking of vehicles for drunken driving, triple riding and Wheeling / Drag racing.
Special appeal to the joyous public celebrating the New Year Eve especially with drinks; that if they are in a group at least one person who holds the steering of the motor vehicle and or the rider of two-wheeler to abstain from consuming alcohol and carry his friends safely and ensure his own safety and safety of other road users, which helps to keep the New Year celebration accident free and people friendly.
Road users/motor cyclists who cause inconvenience to other public by indulging in rash and negligent driving or those who try to wheeling/drag racing will be dealt with sternly and Driving License / Registration Certificates will be sent for suspension. People are requested to contact the traffic helpline No.103/100 in case they come across any such situations.
Bangalore city traffic police wishes all the enlightened citizens of Bangalore a very happy and prosperous New Year. May your New Year be incident free.
- Vehicles proceeding in the direction of Cantonment areas, from Halasuru will turn right near Trinity Circle and enter Halasuru road, turn left on Dickenson road and proceed towards Cubbon Road.
- Parking of vehicle is allowed on both sides of Kamaraja road from Kamaraja road junction to Commercial Street junction.
- Public can also park their private vehicles at 1st floor BMTC Shopping complex, Shivajinagar Bus Stand area.
Metro trains to run till 2 am
Another press note from Bangalore Metro Railway Corporation Limited (BMRCL) said that Metro trains will run till 2 am on the night of December 31, instead of closing at 10 pm. The frequency of trains will depend on number of travellers, which could even be less than one per half an hour.