Nina P Nayak, contesting on an AAP ticket, with 30 years of experience as a social worker and member of various Child Rights committees, now forays into representing Bangalore South at the Lok Sabha, though she stays in Malleshwaram which belongs to Bangalore North constituency.
She has worked extensively on the child protection front. Her works have significantly contributed for the recognition of child rights, policy formulation for these rights and their implementation by the Government of India. She has been actively promoting the implementation of ‘Juvenile Justice Act’ and the ‘Protection of Children Against Sexual Offenses Act’. In 2009, when she was appointed as the Chairperson of the Karnataka State Commission for Protection of Child Rights, she was quoted saying, “we hope to be the eyes and ears of child protection”.
Born in a Chennai household, father retired as Tamil Nadu DGP and rather than following her father’s advice of getting into police services, she completed her Masters in Social Work. Since then she has worked in the field, from Chennai, Kolkata, Delhi and Bangalore. Her mother tongue is Konkani but Nina Nayak can speak six Indian languages because her father had a job that required them moving from one city to the other.
Name: Nina P Nayak
Party: Aam Aadmi Party
Education: M.A. Social Work (Stella Maris College), Certificate in Human Rights
Profession: Social Activist. Currently an honorary member of the Governing Council, India Law Institute, New Delhi.
Age: 60 years
Assets: Rs. 3,51,28,117
Address: Flat 2, Chitrakoot Apartments, 18th Cross Road, Malleswaram West, Bangalore – 55, Karnataka
Phone Number: 9483518349
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prominent positions held
- Chairperson, Child Welfare Committee, Bangalore
- Chairperson, Karnataka State Commission for Protection of Child Rights
- Member of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights
- Member of the Sub-Committee on children for the 11th five-year Plan, National Planning Commission of India.
- Honorary Vice President for Indian Council for Child Welfare, New Delhi
Awards and achievements
- Recipient of Sadguru Gnanananda National Award for Social Entrepreneurship
- Recognition for Dedication to Social Work by the Bolar Education Trust.
- She has trained several organisations across states on subjects of
- Child rights – protection, development and participation
- Juvenile Justice System – Children in need of Care and Protection – Rehabilitation and Social Integration.
- She has made a number of presentations and publications on implementing and monitoring child protection services and co-authored a Handbook that is referred to by Child Welfare Committees across the nation.
To read about Nina Nayak’s campaign, click here.
To read her interview, click here.
We will set up AAP ward committees if we win: Nina Nayak
Nina tries to woo the Aam Aadmi wearing anticorruption hat