26 constituencies in Bengaluru went to poll on May 12th, and here are the winners. First, some data on the trends:
- There are no women.
- Kelachandra Joseph George, 68, from Sarvagnanagar is the oldest MLA.
- Zameer Ahmed Khan, 51, an 8th pass and six other candidates who have mentioned schooling in their education qualification have an average net asset of 80 crores. Five other MLA’s (Shivanna B, Ravi Subramanya LA, Krishna Byre Gowda, Dinesh Gundu Rao and N A Harris) with post graduate degrees have an average net worth of 43 crores.
- The average net assets of all the 26 MLAs is 53 crore, and the sum of all net assets is around ₹1380 crores. Just to put this in context, BBMP collected property tax of ₹1655 crore in 2017-18.
- Suresh B S (INC), MLA from Hebbal has a net worth of 375 crore+ and is the richest among the Bengaluru winners. On the other hand, Akhanda Srinivas Murthy from Pulakeshinagar has the lowest declared net worth of 50 Lakh.
- Seven MLAs have one criminal case against them with M.Krishnappa having two criminal cases of cheating, forgery, impersonation, giving false evidence against him. Of these, four are from INC party and three from BJP. Details of their criminal cases are here.
- BJP MLAs got an average of 92,250 votes, Congress got 87261 votes. Average margins were around 25000, the lowest was 2775 in Vijayanagar, highest was 81626 votes in Pulakeshinagar, that Akhanda Srinivas Murthy got. M Krishnappa from Bangalore South got the highest count of votes 1,52,469 among all MLAs, while Bengaluru South had the maximum number of voters.
- For more info, see: Karnataka Assembly Elections 2018, Bengaluru City MLA Winners List
(Click on the Map to see Election Results)
177 – Anekal
A post graduate from Bangalore University, the 50 year old is a second time MLA.
176 – BANGALORE SOUTH
M Krishnappa is a second term MLA from Bangalore South Constituency. He was first elected in the 2006 Zilla Panchayat elections to Uttarahalli. In 2011 he became the Deputy Chairman of BMTC.
175 – BOMMANAHALLI
SATHISH REDDY.M (BJP)
Sathish Reddy is a businessman who began his political career as a party worker. He was first elected as the MLA of Bommanahalli in 2008.
174 – MAHADEVAPURA
ARVIND LIMBAVALI [BJP]
An engineer by training and third time MLA now, Avind Limbavali was a Minister in Yeddyurappa’s cabinet, holding the portfolio of Higher Education and later Health and Family Welfare. He is General Secy, Karnataka BJP.
172 – BTM Layout
The six-term MLA started his political career as a municipal corporator in 1983. He was Transport Minister and later the Home Minister in the Siddaramaiah cabinet.
171 – PADMANABA NAGAR
R ASHOKA [BJP]
A five-time MLA, R Ashoka has held multiple ministerial berths in the BJP government between 2008 and 2013, including Home and Transport. He was also Deputy Chief Minister of the State and Chairman of Public Accounts Committee in the last assembly (2013-18).
170 – BASAVANAGUDI
RAVI SUBRAMANYA.L.A. (BJP)
A post graduate from CSM Institute of Graduate Studies, Ravi Subramanya has been elected for a third term.
169 – CHICKPET
UDAY B.GARUDACHAR [BJP]
Uday Garudachar graduated in electronics engineering from Bangalore University and developer and Managing Director of Garuda Group (Maverick Holdings).
168 – CHAMRAJPET
B.Z.ZAMEER AHMED KHAN [INC]
The SSLC-pass three-term MLA from Chamarajpet, Khan has business interests in transport and education, and is a partner in National Travels.
[/su_column] [su_column size=”1/3″ center=”no” class=””]
167 – VIJAY NAGAR
Also known as Layout Krishnappa, he is one of the richest politicians in the state. He was the Minister for Housing in the Siddaramaiah cabinet and was the Minister in-charge for Mandya in 2016.
166 – GOVINDRAJ NAGAR
V SOMANNA [BJP]
A BA graduate from VV PURAM college , V Somanna quit Congress and joined the BJP in 2009. He was minister for Housing and later got the Muzrai portfolio. He won the MLC elections in 2016.
165 – RAJAJI NAGAR
S.SURESH KUMAR [BJP]
A fifth-time BJP MLA, Suresh Kumar, a lawyer by profession, came into electoral politics as a city corporator in 1983. In 2013-18, he was a member of Committee on Petition of the Legislative Assembly, Joint Rules Committee and Koliwad Committee.
164 – GANDHI NAGAR
DINESH GUNDU RAO [INC]
The second generation politician is a four-time MLA from Gandhinagar. He held the position of Minister for Food and Civil Supplies in 2013-18; Currently the Working President of the Karnataka Pradesh Congress Committee.
163 – SHANTI NAGAR
The two-term MLA from Shantinagar started his political career as a member of Youth Congress. One of the richest candidates in the last elections with declared assets of Rs 133 crores, he is into various businesses including real estate, hospitality, etc.
162 – SHIVAJINAGAR
R.ROSHAN BAIG [INC]
A lawyer by training, Baig won the 1985 state elections for the 8th Assembly with the Janata Party and moved to the Indian National Congress party after division of Janata Party.
161 – C.V. RAMAN NAGAR
An engineeer by qualification, S. Raghu started his political career as a municipal corporator from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in 1996. He has won twice from his current constituency of C V Raman Nagar reserved under SC/ST category.
160 – SARVAGNANAGAR
K.J. GEORGE [INC]
The Gonikoppa native was first elected to the Karnataka Assembly in 1985 from erstwhile Bharatinagar constituency and held the seat till 1994. The coffee planter and businessman owns a stake in the Kelachandra Group which has multiple business interests including real estate.
159 – PULAKESHINAGAR
AKHANDA SRINIVAS MURTHY.R [INC]
A JDS MLA in 2013, Srinivasa Murthy was suspended from the party for cross voting in the Rajya Sabha elections in 2016. Quitting JD(S) in March 2018, he joined the Congress.
158 – HEBBAL
BYRATI SURESH [INC]
A graduate from BMS College of Engineering, he defeated his nearest competitor Y A Narayanaswamy from BJP.
157 – Malleshwaram
Dr. Ashwath Narayan C N [BJP]
A long-time Malleshwaram resident, he contested the assembly polls from Malleshwaram thrice, and has won twice.
156 – MAHALAKSHMI LAYOUT
GOPALAIAH .K. [JD(S)]
A second time MLA, Gopalaiah began his political career as a municipal corporator from Vrushabhavathi ward. He’s maintained a low profile unlike other city MLAs.
155 – DASARAHALLI
The JDS MLA defeated his nearest competitor S Muniraju from BJP. Early in his career he joined the police department as a constable and left the job after becoming an ASI. He’s worked as a gunman to former chief minister S.M. Krishna.
153 – YESHVANTHAPURA
First-term MLA and BSc graduate is known to be a close confidant of Chief Minister Siddaramaiah. However, the civic problems of Yeshwanthpur remain basic to include the lack of underground drains, roads and water scarcity and the constituency largely depends on borewells for its water supply which remains a problem.
152 – BYATARAYANAPURA
KRISHNA BYRE GOWDA [INC]
A second generation politician, first elected to the Assembly in 2003 and was one of the youngest members at 30. He was the Agriculture Minister in the Siddaramaiah’s Cabinet.
151 – K R Pura
BASAVRAJ BYERATI [INC]
A second-term MLA from K R Puram. He has a agricultural and entrepreneurial background.
150 – YELAHANKA
S.R. VISHWANATH [BJP]
The third time BJP MLA joined the RSS in 1978 and the BJP in 1991. In 2000, he won the Zilla Panchayat elections in Hesaraghatta. He briefly work in HAL.