On Global Climate Week, three major environmental groups – Jhatkaa.org, Fridays For Future (FFF) and Extinction Rebellion (XR) – are coming together to rally the citizens of Bengaluru through a series of events. These events, with the central theme of climate justice, will be held from 20-27 September. Ultimately, the goal is to raise awareness around the current climate crisis, and to tackle it now by going beyond individual efforts and looking at systemic shifts by pressuring our governments and large corporates.
The Global Climate Week, Bengaluru 2019
- September 20th, Friday: Strike at Bengaluru’s Townhall, the event aims to bring together the community and make their voices heard. (Led by Jhatkaa.org)
- September 21st: Happens to be World Clean Up Day, and there will be multiple clean-ups running across the city, including at Kalkare Lake, Bellandur and Kengeri.
- September 22nd: Climate Culture event. In the spirit of celebrating life, all its forms and our environment, it’ll be a space to articulate our place and survival in the web of life. (Led by XR)
- September 23rd is a Panel Discussion at Lahe Lahe Indiranagar, with panelists Dr Yellapa Reddy, former Secretary at Environment and Ecology, Karnataka, Leo Saldhanha, of Environmental Support Group, Harini Nagendra, professor of sustainability at Azim Premji University, S Vishwanath of the Biome Trust, and Varun Ravindran of Vanantara (Led by FFF)
- September 24th: Film screening (Led by FFF)
- September 25th: A speed networking event exclusively for people interested in the environment (Led by FFF)
- September 27th: An on-road march against climate change (Led by FFF)
About the organisers
The three groups are participating in their own specialised domain. Jhatkaa.org is providing the technology platform to map events across the country as well as to reach out to participants in past campaigns. Extinction Rebellion India is creating a consolidated list of demands that will be submitted to the government. Fridays For Future India will be using their large group of active young volunteers to mobilise people.
Jhatkaa.org aims to use innovative technology and public mobilisation to build an active movement of progressive Indians who take action to affect change.
FridaysForFuture is a movement that began in August 2018, after 15-year-old Greta Thunberg sat in front of the Swedish parliament every school day for three weeks, to protest against the lack of action on the climate crisis. She posted what she was doing on Instagram and Twitter and it soon went viral. On the 8th of September, Greta decided to continue striking every Friday until the Swedish policies provided a safe pathway well under 2-degree C, i.e. in line with the Paris agreement. The hashtags #FridaysForFuture and #ClimateStrike spread and many students and adults began to protest outside of their parliaments and local city halls all over the world. FridaysForFuture.in is the India chapter.
Extinction Rebellion was established in the United Kingdom in May 2018 with about one hundred academics signing a call to action in support in October 2018. It is an international non-violent rebellion against the world’s governments for criminal inaction on the ecological crisis.
For more information
Please contact Jacob for more general information +91-84316-41957
For specifics from each group, please contact:
Pranay, Jhatkaa.org: +91 72081 78119
Ishan, Extinction Rebellion India: +91 70139 04859
Disha, FridaysForFuture India: +91 80501 61347