Bengaluru Buzz: Deadline on Kannada signboards | STPs linked to Mahadevapura’s poor roads | HC order on illegal pubs

WEEKLY NEWS ROUNDUP FROM BENGALURU

After November 30th, BBMP will revoke trade licenses of shops that don't have 60 percent signage in Kannada. Pic: Wikipedia

Nov 30 deadline for Kannada signboards

The BBMP has extended the deadline for commercial establishments to ensure that 60 percent of their signage is in Kannada. Establishments now have till November 30th to comply with the rule. If they don’t comply, their trade licences will be cancelled or not renewed.

The previous deadline was November 1, Karnataka Rajyotsava Day. Businesses were asked to have signages with 60 percent lettering in Kannada while the remaining 40 percent could be in any other language.

So far, more than 8500 establishments have complied with the rule, says Vijayendra, Chief Health Officer, BBMP. After inspections, over 14,800 notices have been issued to establishments that did not comply.

New traders who want trade licences have to upload the image of the signage, designed according to the new stipulations, on the BBMP website.

Source: The Hindu | Bangalore Mirror | News18 

Apt STPs linked to bad roads in Mahadevapura

BBMP and BWSSB inspection teams found that many apartments and gated communities in Vibgyor Road, Thubarahalli Main Road and Alpine Eco Road seem to be letting out excess treated water from STPs (sewage treatment plants) onto roadside drains. And overflow from the drains was leading to waterlogging and potholes. The inspection was conducted after citizens took up the #MahadevapuraDemands protest last month, emphasising the lack of civic amenities including good roads.

BWSSB has issued nearly 220 notices to various apartments and gated communities for the violation. Almost 50 percent of the STP water is let into drains, said one official.

A member of Doddanekkundi Rising that was also part of the #MahadevapuraDemands protest, explained that the drain network is incomplete in Mahadevapura. The drains should ideally lead to a lake; but due to blockage or incomplete network, they overflow and cause waterlogging, he said. However, BWSSB officials countered this, saying that excess treated water should be transported through authorised tankers to locations where it can be treated further and then let into lakes.

Source: The Hindu

HC tells govt to act against illegal pubs, bars

Karnataka High Court told the government to act against pubs and bars operating without a licence. The court was responding to a public interest litigation filed by Indiranagar Residents’ Welfare Associations. Senior counsel K G Raghavan contended that the Licensing and Controlling of Places of Public Entertainment (Bangalore City) Order-2005 was not being followed. Police was not taking action against the large number of pubs and bars operating even after midnight and disturbing local residents with loud music, he said.

The advocate for KSPCB (Karnataka State Pollution Control Board), Gururaj Joshi, said that the Board had initiated and would complete the tender process to purchase 230 noise meters across the state.

Source: Deccan Herald

Mayor tells BBMP to upgrade KCDC plant equipment 

The KCDC (Karnataka Compost Development Corporation) at Kudlu Gate in the Bommanahalli assembly constituency should have better, upgraded equipment to improve its treatment capacity, said Mayor Gowtham Kumar to BBMP officials. A few days ago, Kumar had flown to Indore and Delhi to understand waste treatment methods there.

When SWM (solid waste management) officials informed Kumar that compost from the plant was being sold to local farmers, he asked them to sell it to the agriculture department. Officials said that Rs 40 lakh was the revenue from the plant in 2018-19, and that Rs 34 lakh was generated by the middle of the current financial year itself.

Source: Deccan Herald

[Compiled by Revathi Siva Kumar]


WE WANT TO THANK YOU
for reading Citizen Matters, of course. It would be fantastic to be able to thank you for supporting us as well. For 12 years we have strived to bring you trustworthy and useful information about our cities. Because informed citizens are crucial to make a better city. Support Citizen Matters today.

DONATE NOW



About News Desk 988 Articles
The News Desk at Citizen Matters puts out Press Releases, notifications and curated information useful to the urban reader.