The Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) websitehas got a new appearance. The homepage which was earlier overloaded with information and links, has been made simpler and cleaner. All the links and information are categorised under the main menu making it easier for the users to search.
The redesigned website was launched on the night of July 7th 2015. The work is still under progress. BBMP IT Advisor T Sheshadri who has worked on the website said the purpose of redesigning the website was to make it simpler and user-friendly.
“The old website which was launched four years ago was loaded with too much information. Over 30 items were loaded on the homepage making it difficult for the website visitors to search. Therefore, we decided to change the pattern in such a way that users need not to struggle to get information,” he said.
The redesigned website has limited information on the homepage. The Citizen Services are grouped under a menu item, so are the different departments’ sections. The BBMP helpline number is clearly mentioned on the top.
Here are some issues with the new website:
- The links to the electoral rolls are missing from the home pages and I could not find the menu.
- The issue of hosts not mapped to domain names remains, IP addresses like 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 continue to exist.
- The tender pages show old data. This section is not linked to the standard E-procurement tool that are used by all government agencies for tendering, hence new tenders are not seen.
- There is vague and outdated information remaining on the website. For example, document on projects http://bbmp.gov.in/documents/10180/0/PROJECTS.pdf .
- The TVCC page has nothing after 2012. http://bbmp.gov.in/web/guest/tvcc
- There is no date in the list of litigations.
- Estate, Forest and Market sections are outdated – could be updated with recent news or circulars.
- The bills pending and paid list that the administrator had shared for transparency is missing too. Though there are links, they are not linked to pdf files that used to be there earlier.
As the work on the website is still under progress, some of the links and information like electoral roll, list of works completed, pending bills, tender documents are yet to be updated. Work will soon complete with all links working within two days, Sheshadri said.
BBMP website now has a Kannada version
Kannada version is an added feature in the newly designed website. Though many pages do not have Kannada content yet, it looks like a good start. The IT Advisor said that though the old website was multi-lingual initially, Kannada version did not sustain for long time due to technical reasons. “This time, we have made sure that the website is available in both Kannada and English versions to help the citizens,” he said.
The IT section of BBMP is obtaining feedbacks from web developers to improve its style and functioning. Those interested in giving feedbacks can write to email@example.com.