Register your borewell now, if you haven’t already!

The Karnataka government is trying to draw the attention of citizens yet again, to get their borewells registered.

The government has notified 35 taluks in 12 districts of the state as the places that are overdrawing water. It has declared that it is mandatory to register borewells in these areas. The effort had been launched by the state government an year ago, however it does not seem to have reached everyone.

How does this affect you, the citizen of Bengaluru?

If you have a borewell and if it is not registered, you need to get it registered. If you are planning to dig a borewell you need a permission from Department of Mines and Geology, and should register the borewell with BWSSB once it is complete.

If your borewell is not registered, you can be fined up to Rs. 10,000 and/or imprisonment up to three years.

How to identify whether the borewell is registered or not?

Check your BWSSB bill. If there is a mention of Rs 50 or more in front of ‘borewell charges,’ then the borewell is registered. Otherwise it needs to be registered.

How to get the borewell registered?

  • Download and print the application from here (form 4). Fill it.
  • If you are using your borewell water for domestic purposes, you need to pay Rs 50. If it is for commercial use, you need to pay Rs 500.
  • Write a pay-in slip for the required amount in the name of Chairman, Karnataka Groundwater Authority, and credit it to the Canara Bank account 0788201052332 of Karnataka Ground Water Authority.
  • The form with copies of the bank challan and latest BWSSB bill and payment receipt should be submitted to Chief Engineer, Bangalore Water Supply and Sewage Board, Kaveri Bhavan, Bangalore – 560 009. You can also submit it in your BWSSB sub division office. If you make bill payment online, keep the required proof with you.
  • The application will be scrutinised by Senior Geologist, District Groundwater office, 13th floor, Visweswaraiah Towers, Bangalore – 560 001. Then the registration certificate will be issued by the BWSSB.
  • In other districts, form-4 has to be submitted to district Groundwater Authority’s senior scientist or deputy director. The certificate will be distributed from the same office on Form 5A.

A press note from the government says that there are reportedly many private agencies that claim to get registration done and collecting extra money from people. Do not interact with them. If any such person approaches you, file a complaint in the below offices:

Chief Engineer, Bangalore Water Supply and Sewerage Board, Cauvery Bhavan, Bangalore – 560 009, Phone number 080-22945105, senior geologist, Ground Water Authority, 13th Floor, Visweswaraiah tower, Bangalore – 560 001. Phone: 080-22862108, Mobile: 9845132136

For more information. Contact: Additional Director (groundwater), No. 49, Mineral House, Race Course Road, Bangalore – 560 001, Phone: 080-22384134, Cell: 9964010538.

Or refer the website:

Related Articles

BWSSB trying to register all the borewells in Bangalore
Bengaluru’s borewells, who’s counting?
Goons attack apartment to stop borewell drilling
Stop borewell surcharge, remove RWH deadline
Centre banned commercial borewells in city, state overturned it quietly
Borewells, open wells and groundwater in Bangalore

Support Citizen Matters - independent, Reader-funded media that covers your city like no other.DONATE
About News Desk 1222 Articles
The News Desk at Citizen Matters puts out Press Releases, notifications and curated information useful to the urban reader.