It would be good if BBMP help centres adopt a standardised approach for calculation, filling of forms and issue of receipts. Presently there is a lot of misunderstanding and failure of supervision by revenue officials at the help centers that are leading to confusion and sufferings for the tax payers…young and old. I had sent a letter to the BBMP commissioner on 9th March, which has not been acknowledged as yet.
Reliable, useful journalism needs your support.
Over 600 readers have donated over the years, to make articles like this one possible. We need your support to help Citizen Matters sustain and grow. Please do contribute today. Donate now
Note: I had earlier pointed out a serious error in the online calculator as it had not taken the multiplying factor of 10 in the UAV for car parking area. I have come to know this was corrected by BBMP (as per a report in The Times of India).
Following is the text of the letter.
DEFICIENCIES IN PROPERTY TAX MATTERS
Congratulations to the BBMP team in trying their level best to create a standardised procedure in collecting data and the property tax from every property owner coming under the Bruhat Bangaluru scheme. I agree that such a massive effort will have several unanswered queries and slip ups. It is the duty of every property owner to be sincere in declaring and identifying their properties and help BBMP in removing all doubts and rectify the errors in the procedure so that from the next Block Year onwards, it will be very easy to fill the forms and pay up the taxes in time.
After studying the handbook, website information and the various clarifications given by BBMP in the newspapers from time to time, I would like to point out certain deficiencies that need study and correction.
- The final receipt issued by BBMP after payment of the taxes, mentions tax and cess separately. The receipt format needs revision and should have space for Khatha number, block year and other data required for ease of computerisation.
- The application forms need changes in arriving at the figures for entry in the receipts. Presently, the tax and cess are added and rebate is applied on the total.
Instead, the rebate for tax and cess should be separately calculated and added, so that the figures required to be shown in the receipt tallies with those in the application form.
- The built up area has created a lot of confusion since the figures given in the sale deeds are super built up area, plinth area, undivided land share, common areas et cetera.
BBMP should be specific as to what is in their mind when using the word “built up”.
The factor differs between individual residences and apartment complexes. The problem comes in the usage of these words by different builders and their sale deeds. BBMP has to standardise the terminologies to rectify the anomalies. Separate pages or paragraphs can be given in the application form for individual residences and apartments in multi storey complexes.
- The online calculator uses different procedure in calculating the taxes. It needs changes in the software to suit the procedure and the entries as used in the application forms in the same sequence and in the receipt format. Only standardised terminologies should be used in all publications, notices, formats, computerisation et cetera to avoid confusing interpretations.
- It is seen that the online calculator is used to print out the tax receipts also without making any corrections pointed out as above. It is also seen that the rounded of tax figures are not accepted. As in income tax cases, the software for the online calculator should be modified to round off the tax payable so that cheque writing is easy.
- It is also seen that many of the help centers are not supervised by the revenue officials and the clerical staff do collect money to fill up forms. Unauthorised collections are still taking place in many apartment complexes making a mockery of your appeals.
- Many of the properties are not identifiable in the zonal classifications. Efforts should be taken to revise the classifications to include left out areas by the street /locality / nearby prominent feature names, et cetera.