What is Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit individual identification number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India on behalf of the Government of India.
Where can I use it?
This number will serve as a proof of identity and address, anywhere in India.
Is UID registration and getting Aadhaar card compulsory?
No, Aadhaar registration is voluntary, not compulsory. Enrollment is free.
Is this like a social security?
In a sense, yes; Aadhaar enables identification and may be assigned to every ‘resident’ of India; it is NOT a proof of citizenship and consequently, not only for Indians.
What information is visible on the card?
The UID card physically contains the name, sex, address, year of birth along with the 12-digit unique number assigned to the holder.
Who can register?
Any individual, irrespective of age and gender, who is a resident in India and satisfies the verification process laid down by the UIDAI can enrol for Aadhaar.
What are the documents required?
- UIDAI process accepts 18 PoI (Proof of Identity) and 33 PoA (Proof of Address) documents. Please click here for a nationally valid list of documents. Common proofs of identity and address are election photo ID card, Ration card, passport and driving license.
- Photo ID cards like PAN card and Govt ID cards are permissible for identity proof. Address proof documents also include water – electricity – telephone bills from the last three months.
- In case you do not have above common proofs, Certificate of Identity having photo issued by Gazetted Officer/Tehsildar on letterhead is also accepted as PoI. Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP or MLA /Gazetted Officer/Tehsildar on letterhead or by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas) is accepted as valid PoA.
- Even if someone in a family does not have individual valid documents, the resident can still enrol if his/her name exists in family entitlement document. In this case the Head of Family in entitlement document needs to be enrolled first with valid PoI and PoA document. The head of the household can then introduce other members in the family while they are enrolling. UIDAI accepts 8 document types as Proof of Relationship. Please click here for a nationally valid list of documents.
- Where there are no documents available, resident may also take the help of ‘Introducers’ available at the enrolment centre. The Introducers are notified by the Registrar. For further details please contact office of the concerned Registrar.
What do I need to fill in the form?
At the enrollment center, please fill your personal details within the form. Your photo, finger-prints and iris scan will also be taken as a part of the enrollment. You can review the details you have provided and make corrections during enrolment itself. You will get an acknowledgment slip with an temporary enrolment number and other details captured during enrolment
How long does it take to get the card?
Based on your information provided, your details will be verified centrally. If your application is successful, an Aadhaar number will be generated and mailed to your address. The waiting time for Aadhaar may vary from 60-90 days after receipt of information. However, it could take even longer in case enrolment is done through The National Population Registry exercise.
Can I organise a camp in my organisation or apartment?
To organise a camp, contact:
Chief Executive Officer, Centre for e-Governance
Room No:146A, Multi-Storied Building, Dr. Ambedkar Veedhi, Bangalore 560 001. Ph:22373840, Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
UIDAI Regional Office
Khanija Bhavan, No. 49, 3rd Floor, South Wing Race Course Road, Bangalore 560001 Grievance Cell: 22340864 Email: email@example.com Reception Ph: 22340104
Where are the enrollment centres?
The centres are open all days 9 am to 7pm. The centres are shifted depending on demand and response. So please check before going.