Auto rickshaws are a key option for private transport in Bangalore.
Reliable, useful journalism needs your support.
Over 600 readers have donated over the years, to make articles like this one possible. We need your support to help Citizen Matters sustain and grow. Please do contribute today. Donate now
* There are more than 1 lakh registered autos in the city.
* Number of Auto rickshaw’s = 100,000
* Min turnover per auto/per day = Rs.600
* Total turnover per day 100000*600 = Rs 6 crores
* Total turnover per year = Rs.2160 crores
Going by this, the minimum turn over is Rs.2160 crores per year. At a profit margin of 30-40%, it is amounting to nearly Rs.700 crores.
This is a big business, and there are more than 20 unions but it does not have a users forum nor regular adalats being conducted across the city. The only way for citizens to air their grievances against auto drivers is by lodging complaint with RTO and traffic police who are busy with their own work.
It is high time that auto adalats are conducted every month as a regulatory step by RTO and Traffic Police for the benefit of commuters.