One of the oldest bazaars, Gandhi Bazaar which is frequented by thousands and which is also a popular meeting point for the residents of Basvangudi, is today a bustling, noisy, chaotic ‘thoroughfare’, unsafe for shoppers. Thanks to heavy traffic.
BMTC buses, trucks, and ‘all wheelers’ make it a point to speed their way. Mowing down shoppers, making it a hazard for pedestrians. During festival time it is most dangerous and annoying.
Shopping is also leisure time activity and the area is a social meeting point, especially for senior citizens and women with children. Shopping is meant to be pleasure and fun, not a nightmare. It is time for shoppers to walk in peace and enjoy their shopping.
Here are my suggestions for a safe and quiet Gandhi Bazaar area:
- Make Gandhi Bazaar free of all vehicular traffic. All vehicles to circulate around the periphery only. The core area can become pathways. Reserve Gandhi Bazaar main Road and DVG Road for pedestrians only.
- A proper toilet area, benches for relaxing, security and ambulance wth paramedics and even a medical room for emergencies. Street plays and social awarenes campaigns and kid’s park can be added attractions.
A) Traffic regulations : All vehicular traffic diverted around periphery of Gandhi Bazaar, that is, Tagore circle – KR Road – Vani Vilas Road – North Road through Gandhi Bazaar via Girls School Road – National Co-operative Bank to Vivekananda circle: Only uni-directional flow.
Special entry permit for supply vehicles for traders as prescribed restricted timings.
1) Parking facility should be provided at
- east – upto Foodworld & Corporation Market (rear side) – earmarked for a car park building
- north – flyover – DVG Road including upto Govindappa Road
- south – DVG Road – Sthree Sanga Cross upto APS Road intersection
- west – National Cooperative Bank upto HSBC bank (Vivekananda circle)
2) bmtc bus routes can be
a) Tagore Circle – Canara Bank, North Road (Karnataka Sangha), National Coop Bank – divider upto Vivekanda Circle
The plan should to be initiated and executed through a partnership of citizens participation, Gandhi Bazaar Traders Associations, and the BBMP, sustained on a day-to-day basis, by a standing committee. This will be for the welfare of the citizens at large.