Helplines and support for women

Support Citizen Matters - independent, Reader-funded media that covers your city like no other.

What are the helplines for women in distress?

Vanitha Sahayavani initiated by the Bangalore police force helps women in distress, provides them counselling, helps them with short stay home facilities and rehabilitation. The helpline, in particular, comes to the rescue of women with marital problems or property disputes. Call 1091.

Ashraya Women’s Centre, Indiranagar is for women who have been physically and mentally abused and to those who have been abandoned. The organisation provides shelter, counselling, legal-aid and vocational training. Ph: 25251929. eval(decodeURIComponent(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%5c%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%61%73%68%63%68%69%6c%64%40%61%69%72%74%65%6c%6d%61%69%6c%2e%69%6e%5c%22%3e%43%6c%69%63%6b%20%66%6f%72%20%65%6d%61%69%6c%20%69%64%3c%5c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’)).

Which are the NGOs working for women in Bangalore?

Stree Jagruthi Samithi focuses on the rights of domestic workers. They work for labour rights, fair treatment and essential benefits of domestic workers. They are located at 1863, South End C Cross, 9th Block, Jayanagar. Ph: 22734956 eval(decodeURIComponent(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%5c%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%6d%61%68%69%6c%61%5f%32%31%40%79%61%68%6f%6f%2e%63%6f%2e%69%6e%5c%22%3e%43%6c%69%63%6b%20%66%6f%72%20%65%6d%61%69%6c%20%69%64%3c%5c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’)).

SICHREM (South India Cell for Human Rights Education and Monitoring) in Lingarajapuram fights for human rights for the disempowered including women. Ph: 25473922/25492856.

Campaign and Struggle against Acid Attacks in Women, BTM Layout can be reached at 9448046252 or 9448444254.

How do I complain against dowry harassment?

Demanding and giving dowry, itself, is regarded as a punishable offence under the Dowry Prohibition Act (1961). If harassment for dowry occurs after the marriage, the woman can file a case under IPC Section 498A and can result in an imprisonment of up to three years.

Vimochana, based in Marutiseva Nagar, is a forum for women’s rights, issues like marital violence and dowry harassment. Ph: 2549 2781/2549 2783. eval(decodeURIComponent(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%5c%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%76%69%6d%6f%63%68%61%6e%61%37%39%40%67%6d%61%69%6c%2e%63%6f%6d%5c%22%3e%43%6c%69%63%6b%20%66%6f%72%20%65%6d%61%69%6c%20%69%64%3c%5c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’)).

Mahila Dahkshata Samiti, AECS Layout also helps dowry victims to start over. They provide short stay homes and provides vocational training. Ph: 23512543.

Can I complain against domestic violence?

Section 498A that includes dowry harassment law is applied to domestic violence as well. Here, the man can be booked if he indulges in physical violence, denies the woman food, behave in a perverse manner, locks the woman out of the house regularly or confines the woman to the four walls of the house, denies that the children are his own, etc. If the man is proven guilty, he can face imprisonment of up to three years. The FIR need not be filed by the victim alone but also by a close relative of the victim. Human Rights Law Network, Bangalore provides legal help. Ph: 65624757. eval(decodeURIComponent(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%5c%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%62%61%6e%67%61%6c%6f%72%65%40%68%72%6c%6e%2e%6f%72%67%5c%22%3e%43%6c%69%63%6b%20%66%6f%72%20%65%6d%61%69%6c%20%69%64%3c%5c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))

Do women have special rights when under arrest?

According to the law, women can refuse arrest between 6 pm to 6 am even if the police have a warrant. When the arrest takes place, it has to be done in the presence of a female officer and the woman must be lodged in a separate lock-up where no male suspects are kept.

Are there any laws against eve-teasing?

If you are a victim of eve-teasing, you can evoke Section 298(A) and (B) of the Indian Penal Code. This law states that a man guilty of making obscene gestures, remarks, songs or recitation towards a woman can be jailed for up to 3 months. Other laws include, Section 192 of the IPC where showing a woman pornographic or obscene pictures, books or slips can lead to a fine of Rs 2000 along with two years in jail for first time offenders or five years in jail if the offence is a repeated one. And under Section 509, any obscene gestures or comments or indecent language aimed at a woman can result in a year of rigourous imprisonment or a fine or both. Blank Noise is a project to fight this evil.

What do I do if I am being sexually harassed at the workplace?

In 1999, the Supreme Court ruled that "unwelcome sexual advances, the request for sexual favours and other verbal and physical conduct with sexual overtones" come under the gamut of sexual harassment and is punishable. Make a formal complaint to the authorities (both the police and higher authorities at the workplace) and you will be provided with the option of obtaining a transfer for yourself or for the accused. Supreme Court guidelines impose an obligation on the employer to set up a Complaints Committee, which should be headed by a woman, have half its members as women, include a thirdparty representative from an NGO.

Which are the support groups and networking forums for career women?

AWAKE or Association of Women Entrepreneurs of Karnataka started off in 1983 and has been dedicated to Entrepreneurship development since then. It is wholly run by women entrepreneurs who help nurture the talents, ideas and ventures of other women with counselling, training and by imparting their experience and knowledge. Ph: 23389964 / 23111059 / 23385874.

TiE Women was launched in 2005 to help women better their businesses or improve their contributions to the company that they worked for. It has been pushing women bring about and manage change and create a congenial environment that facilitates their growth as leaders and entrepreneurs. Ph: 4147 4567/69 eval(decodeURIComponent(‘%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%5c%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%69%6e%66%6f%40%74%69%65%62%61%6e%67%61%6c%6f%72%65%2e%6f%72%67%5c%22%3e%43%6c%69%63%6b%20%66%6f%72%20%65%6d%61%69%6c%20%69%64%3c%5c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b’))

About Navya D'Souza 8 Articles
The author has not yet added any personal or biographical info to her or his author profile.


  1. My parents and brother are torturing me a lot from many days, weeks, years.
    My brother is very arrogant, autocratic, wants only his words to be fulfilled. He is very very bossy. The so called, his parents are always supportive for all of his doings. I am alone and left without anyone in this world. Now, he has kept my TV somewhere else and I don’t have a proper place to sit, sleep, keep my clothes, watch TV. I am treated like a beggar, I widow, untouchable, slave in this house. I don’t have privacy.

  2. HI, I myself Darshana I reside at Kharghar Navi Mumbai, I got a call from Delhi location for the loan providers & they told that they provide the loan on very low interest rates on urgent basis & at that time as i was a single mother i need the finance on very urgent basis, so i tried for the same, i am a working women, but after that they called for the process of all documents which i submitted to them on their mail id provided by them, after that verification all call was taken by them from different departments saying that this is the process & all, first time after receiving the documents they told to pay the processing fee 5000 online which i did, later on they told that i need to pay 37000 which will be saved as a fixed deposit which i paid, like this till every step i paid total 72000 to them at the federel bank on their sayed account, but i told them that i dont want any loan from them i need to cancel the same which was agreed by them & they said that the amount which i paid during loan process will be refundable, bit till date its almost more than 3 months nobody is picking up my call & i have not yet got any amount.

    So, i am in a very big problem, so i need your help how can i get my money back.

    Please, help me out on this.

  3. is there any facilities available regarding safety and health support for women who are staying alone without family support?

  4. Hi Mam. An old lady lives near my pg. She met with an accident and is weak and feeble. Her neighbors are constantly troubling her. They wouldn’t supply water to her house for weeks. Took away her only dog and sold it. Speak rudely to her. Please help her. She is very much troubled.

  5. Hi Mam My name is *****. I was in love with a guy namde ******* he promised to marry me but finnaly did not. but he has taken 40, 000 amount from from and used 65, ooo using my credit card and refusing to pay on time. my parents are not aware of this . kindly help me how i get back my money from him.
    Editors’ note: Edited to remove sensitive details.

  6. I am married since 8 yrs and have a girl baby studying in UKG. In my marriage life, my mother in law has pledged all my jewels and never returned any of it. All my jewels are gone. I have no source of money to help in tough times. Also my husband is least bothered about me and my kid as he is not providing any basic needs and nor helping me financially. Though his mother is residing at their own house and in no need of income(as she has another unmarried son to take care of her), still he gives all his salary to his mother. Though me or my kid is hospitalized, he doesnot spend for us and doesnot take care of us. Instaed he expects me to work and give my salary to him. He has never paid my kid’s school fee. I have sold my managa sutra chain also for sake of my kid’s education.
    My mother in laws family is least supportive, no respect, no justice. I am feeling very insecure about my kids future and my health is not in condition to go to work. My in law manipulates my husband and doesn’t let him take care of me and my kid. I am going into mental depression and emotionally harassed and unable find a solution.
    Please advice how can I approach or work on getting rid of these problems because my husband is least bothered about us. I am so fed up that I may commit suicide any time also along with my kid.

    • Hi am 35 yrs old I have a son he is 5yrs old. My husband is not taking care of us, he is not giving salary to
      Me nor spending on my son. This is happening from 8 yrs. Mentally am depressed… Please help me, I want to get rid from my husband. Please save me and my son

  7. i want to help one girl ,she is been mentally harassed by her parents,even physically too by there mother,father, sister’s and brother and emotionally also,,, she will come out of her house means how i do need to support her??/ can i call your organization???

  8. Hi Team,

    I am a working professional in Bangalore.Whenever I see woman lying on the side of road, I feel terrible and feel like informing some helping groups or NGOs who can take care of them.Looks like the those woman are abandoned by their families.Can I contact your team if I see such women?

  9. My step brother who is a black magician( believe me I’m not telling this without confirmation), and might be a Don and has contacts with the political parties (maybe) , keeps coming to our house every 2 days and checks the house in a weird way and asks my mother who is really old if her health is better or worse and blows and recites some unknown language , after this we are almost ill everyday can’t do any work nor move, we have avoided picking his call and letting him in the house as well, and he has attempted to kill me with a knife he showed it as if it was for fun . What can be done to stop him from troubling us

  10. hi mam, im sangeetha…. it was about 4years v started our marriage life….but always we two get fight each otherr…for small matter also my husband s ready to leave us….v have one 3years old baby…. he always treats me like a slave in all matter.he will use very abusive language,which i cannot hear.he use to beat me also…once i attempted suicide also,bcoz of the words he used while shouting at me…. now also a fight between us and he beat me with a perfume bottle on my head,its paining me.. he always threatening me ,that he will get out from my life,which makes my child future a question mark. and he will torture my parents. usually he fights,he shouts in worst words,beats me and will go out from home and he will go to his mother home,his mother gives full support. now my problem is i cannot go to police. i cannot go to my parents. and im not able to hear his language and bare the pain when he beats. so pleasse tell me is there any option which gives me a support that makes him fear to talk badly at me and beat me and fear to leave us. please help me.

    Read more at:

  11. Hi Mam,

    My name is Sameena. I am writing this email in reference to dispute to property share

    We are 2 children to my parents. My father died in 1996 & Mother recently expired in 2016. I have my parents property of 30X40 in Palace Guttahalli, Bangalore. According to Sharia Law the property should be divided as 2 is to 1, where in my father wanted to give me an equal half share . Unfortunately in the process of making a will he expired and there is no documentation of the same. Now when i speak to my brother about property division he says that my mother has given him the power to hold the property & he has a release order. He will give only 12 feet to me. But when calculated according to sharia Law also i should get 12.66 Feet & he does not want to give me facility of water connection etc. I need an expert advice how to go about it. There is lot of misunderstanding between me, my husband and brother. Please help. You can reach me on my email listed . Please revert at the earliest. You are the last point of contact & hope. I am not aware of any lawyers neither I can afford their Fee.

Comments are closed.