The Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR)’s Karnataka Election Watch committee has compiled information about candidates in various Assembly constituencies using candidates’ own disclosure affidavits, mandated by election law. The Election Commission has also issued orders making this information public.
Reliable, useful journalism needs your support.
Over 600 readers have donated over the years, to make articles like this one possible. We need your support to help Citizen Matters sustain and grow. Please do contribute today. Donate now
The Election Watch committee has now released its first list of candidates with a criminal record contesting the Assembly elections. These are people who contested last time and were re-nominated.
Record of Candidates from Bangalore (based on 2004 Affidavit Data)
1. Katta Subramanya Naidu, BJP (Hebbal): FIR. NO. 0589 CR. NO.589/03
u/s 143, 145, 147, 149 353 IPC 1860
2. Nirmal Kumar Surana, BJP (Shivaji Nagar): Case no. 589/03 under sec. 143,145, 147, 149, 353: Dtd : 29/09/03: at 10th ACMM bangalore
3. S Suresh Kumar, BJP (Rajaji Nagar): FIR No. CR. No. 631/96, registered at High Grounds Police Station, Bangalore . Charged under Section 143,147,148,323,332,324,353,427 R/W 149 of IPC and Section 108 of Karnataka Police Act – Political Demonstration against Beauty Pageant, under the VIII ACMM Bangalore Court. Case no: CC/ 8659/97
4. N L Narendrababu, INC (Mahalakshmi Layout): FIR No. CC.No. 16626/2000, 16561/2001.
Registered at Mahalakshmi Layout Police Station, Nandini Layout Police Station, Bangalore. Charge sheeted under Section 3 of Karnataka Open Place Prevention and Disfiguration Act, 1981 for displaying Election Banner at Busstop. Chargesheet framed Section 143,147,447,148 Rioting with deadly weapons of IPC for having lead a protest rally against illegal allotment of land meant for Public use 7th ACMM Bangalore.
5. V Somanna, INC (Govindarajnagar): FIR no pcr101/2002 /C.C 6704/2002 IPC 500 Punishment for defamation court III ACMM
6. S. Shivappa, JD(S) (Gandhinagar): u/s 418, 424, 468, 420, CC No.20675/99
7. B Z Zameer Ahmed Khan, JD(S) (Chamarajpet): Accused in case no CC15036/2002 charge not framed yet.
|Karnataka Election Watch, 2008|
|Candidates with criminal records in 2004 elections||49||24||39|
|Candidates re-nominated this time for 2008*||24||10||12|
|Murder and attempt to murder cases in re-nominated list||2||2||1|
|*New candidates put up this time are not included. That list will be released later|
Preventing electoral malpractices
The election commission has laid down several rules: candidates are required to file statements during elections about their electoral expenses. The public can inform Election Observers directly about any electoral malpractice (distributing money, gifts, liquor, providing transport, paying voters’ bills etc).
Information on Election Observers are provided at: http://observers.eci.gov.in, and also at http://www.eci.gov.in/CurrentElections/observers.asp.
Update [7 May 2008]
Election Watch has released the background information of all candidates contesting in the Phase 1 polls. Click here.
ADR is a non-political, non-partisan group that has been working on improving governance and strengthening democracy in India. This ADR-initiated election watch initiative arose directly out of a Supreme Court Judgment in May 2002 and March 2003 on its petition on criminalisation of politics ⊕