HSR Layout Sector 2 is witness to numerous unauthorised and filthy garbage dumps with pigs and stray dogs adding to the menace. In tune with their aim of keeping a clean and healthy environment for one and all, we, the HSR Layout Sector-2 Residents Welfare Association, had conducted a garbage awareness campaign during April 2009. Officials and staff of BBMP also participated in the campaign on 18th April 2009.
Reliable, useful journalism needs your support.
Over 600 readers have donated over the years, to make articles like this one possible. We need your support to help Citizen Matters sustain and grow. Please do contribute today. Donate now
The message was aimed against littering in the area and indiscriminate dumping of garbage all over the sector. The campaigners visited residential areas and shops in the area.
We visited over 50 shops in the sector and about 150 houses distributing leaflets of BBMP and our own leaflets. We highlighted the importance of proper garbage management to ensure a clean and hygienic environment.
Follow up actions by BBMP have been intimated to them.
We have recommended that the garbage management should be put on a fast-track mode and the BBMP should take immediate action on the following.
- Designate and notify to residents, through various media, on the authorised garbage disposal places in our sector.
- Evict unlicensed meat/poultry/pork/chicken vendors and mobile food shops which are all over the place (this has to be done in the interest of health and hygiene). They are a source of garbage and proliferation of pigs and stray dogs.
- Regular aggressive door to door garbage collection system through intensive public awareness. This needs to be done through public address system, posters and leaflets. This is particularly needed in the old CMC pockets.
- Conduct awareness programme on proper garbage management at all schools and through other media.
- Evict encroachment on pavements by shopkeepers and issue strict warning/notice and levying of hefty fines.
- Eviction of labor camps.
- A proactive action on elimination of pigs and stray dogs before it is too late.
Some action has been taken by the ground level staff. It needs to be addressed by the senior management of BBMP in totality; particularly by the chief health officer of BBMP to a logical conclusion. This will ensure a clean environment. Our interaction with the chief health officer in the past on this issue has been most disappointing. BBMP health officials must put in place pro active workable garbage management system instead of waiting, in a reactive mode, for something drastic like epidemics and emergencies to occur.