A library is a place where a child learns on his/her own and grows. But most government run schools and other low income institutions in the country lack a library, thereby denying children an essential part of education. Pratham Books, a Bangalore based non-profit trust, that has been publishing low cost yet high quality story books for children in multiple Indian languages since 2004, hopes to make the magical world of a library a little more accessible to children. For this, it invites applications from NGOs interested in receiving a unique product called ‘Library-in-a-classroom’.
The ‘Library-in-a-classroom’ is a wall-mounted library that can be put up in any classroom. The library has a set of 125 books in languages and levels of chosen by the recipient. In keeping with its mission of “putting a book in every child’s hand”, Pratham Books is willing to donate approximately 200 numbers of the ‘Library-in-a-classroom’. The product comes with its own storage unit with a lock and key facility. This ensures the safety of the books, not only from dust and other damages, but also solves the problem of ‘where’ and ‘how’ to store books. This child friendly unit is a compact treasure trove of stories and fables taking children on magical journeys.
Non-profit organizations or government schools that wish to apply for this grant should read the application guidelines listed below, and fill out the application form if they fulfill the criteria.
- The applicant should be a non-profit organization registered under the Societies Registration Act of 1860 or Section 25 of Companies Act of 1956 or any other legal entity under regulations of Government of India.
- The non-profit organization should be serving children from low income communities.
- The non-profit organization should have a functioning reading program/library for children with fixed reading hours outside curriculum (at least 6 hours per week). This reading program must give children access and opportunities to read book, which are not a part of the set curriculum and are read for the pleasure of reading.
- The reading programme that the NGO runs should impact at least 150-200 children of the community.
- The ‘Library-in-a-classroom’ kit from Pratham Books is available with books in the following languages only : Telugu/Kannada /Marathi / Urdu / Hindi and can be chosen in the ratio of 70:30 for primary language (mother tongue) to secondary language.
- The non-profit organization would be required to give regular updates and feedback on the outcomes of the library received from Pratham Books. This would assist in determining how the libraries are helping the programmes of the recipient. The format for providing feedback will be shared with the recipient.
There are 2 ways to file the application:
1. Fill in the google form and submit the application online.
2. Download the application form from here and email or post it to Pratham Books at the address given below.
House No. 621, II Floor, 5th Main
OMBR Layout, Banaswadi, Bangalore – 560043
Last day of application: 30th June
Announcement of list of final beneficiaries: 8th August
Start of despatch of libraries: 20th August
A completed from is imperative for Pratham Books to consider an application. Pratham Books promises to read and consider every application we receive but cannot honour each one of them. The organization is also looking for new partners in this journey, so NGOs who have not being benefited from any grant by Pratham Books before will get preference.
25,000 colourful books are waiting. Hurry up!