If you are one among the lakhs of voters of Basavanagudi, this is what you need to know!
- Understand the role of the MLA
- Learn all you can about the candidates: see below
- Locate your voting booth: TBD
- How to cast your vote: TBD
Incumbent MLA: Ravi Subramanya L A
- How did Ravi Subramanya L A spend his Local Area Development (LAD) funds?
- Tracking Ravisubramnya L A in the news
- Interview: TDB
- Related info: http://opencity.in/information/karnataka-election-candidate-profile-ravi-subramanya-l-a
List of candidates, 2018:
Sankleshpur Gundappa Sitaram
Aam Aadmi Party
Bharatiya Janata Party
Indian National Congress
Janata Dal (Secular)
Full List of Candidates
|2013 Candidates||Party||Votes||Age||Vote share|
|2008 Candidates||Party||Votes||Age||Vote share|
|M. VASUDEVARAO KASYAPA||BSP||398||48||0.41|
- Citizens for Bengaluru’s Beku Beda manifesto
- Bengaluru Apartment Federation’s Wish list
- Makkala Jagriti’s Wishlist for Government Schools
- Runners demand open spaces, parks and sports facilities
- Green manifesto asks candidates to commit to segregation, composting, plastic ban
- Demands from Constituents: TBD
About the Constituency
Basavanagudi is part of Bangalore South. It derives its name from the famous bull’s statue. Its wards are Basavanagudi, Hanumanth Nagar, Srinagar, Girinagar, Katriguppe and Vidyapeeta.
This is an unreserved constituency. What makes this constituency stand out is the Bull Temple and the annual kadlakai parishe. The Basavanagudi Shiva temple and many others in this region were built by Kempe Gowda, the founder of the city.
Hence, Basavanagudi is an old area, yet it has been showing rapid development with the attendant erosion in greenery. There has been proliferation of IT industries, commercial and business growth. With the growth the metro line, the congestion has reduced as well as increased. As trees have been getting cut down rapidly everywhere, there is also an increase in the pollution and congestion.
There are a number of sewerage and water lines here that are almost 50 years old, and need replacement. Other issues in this area include garbage mismanagement, irregular water supply and power cuts and lack of adequate parking regions.
In 2008, there were 9,6,361 voters in this constituency, but in 2013, the number of voters increased to 1,03,942. Currently, the number of registered voters is 2,38,614.