Urban Development Department published ward committee rules in June 2016. The rules will help formation of ward committees and can have citizen participation in ward level.
Kathyayini Chamaraj, the co-founder of CIVIC, says that people can now start demanding that BBMP constitute the ward committees for each ward with a total of ten members with 3 women, 2 SC/ST members, 2 local associations and any three other members.Other terms:
- The committee must meet every month and put up the minutes and resolutions in the ward office.
- The Ward Committee meetings are open to the public and RWA members should make it a point to attend them.
- You can only observe the meetings but cannot intervene.
- Your grievances can be submitted to the Councillor one week before the meeting.
- You can videograph the meetings.
- The Secretary of the Ward Committee has to provide an Action Taken Report next month on resolutions of previous meetings.