Write an Open Letter to your MLA
A contest for all citizens of Bengaluru.
Write an article on how your MLA performed in the last 5 years. How has he/she delivered / achieved as against what was promised during the 2013 state elections. What do you expect in the next term?
What we expect:
- Your letter should make one think, substantiate them with context and data.
- Write in a simple and lucid style.
- Your write-up should be based on an understanding of the role of an MLA and the authority vested in him/her. Do not mix up MLA’s roles with other elected reps. What does an MLA do? Refer: MLAs’ duties and privileges
- You can refer to the promises made in the 2013 manifesto while writing about what was / not delivered.
- Inclusion of other projects or issues taken up by your MLA.
- What you expect from the future MLA or his party.
To start you off with data, we suggest you look for your MLA related details here: http://opencity.in/?s=mla
Open to all Bangaloreans aged 15 and above. One winner gets a cash prize of Rs 5,000 (Terms and conditions apply)
How to Apply: Submit your open letter in the form below
- The word count is 800-1200 words.
- Entries must be written in English or Kannada
- Only one entry per writer is allowed
- Must be submitted online only
- Has to be original
- Please go through the Terms and Conditions of the contest before submitting your article
All entries must be submitted before midnight (IST) on April 9, 2018.
Note: By submitting your entry through this form, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of this contest mentioned hereunder.
Terms and Conditions
This writing contest (contest) will be governed by the terms and conditions (T & C) mentioned herein. These terms and conditions are subject to change or updation by Oorvani Foundation (Oorvani) without any prior notice to the contestants.
- The write ups must be original in thoughts and text.
- Writers should provide the links to all references they have used, while writing the article. (Newspaper clippings, expert articles or other resources)
- The articles should be exclusively written for this contest, and not sent to any other magazine or website.
- The right of publishing entries of the contest for the first time lies with Citizen Matters. This content is bound by the terms and conditions of Open Media Initiative, and can be shared with other media.
- Organisers reserve the right to reject the entries that have plagiarism or spinning.
- Organisers reserve the right to cancel the contest or change prize money at any point of time during the contest or after without ascribing any reason whatsoever
Submitting an entry to this contest indicates acceptance of said T & C.
- This contest is only for residents of Bengaluru aged 15 years or above.
- No entries by a team / group of two or more would be accepted.
- There is no entry fee for the contest.
- The contest is being run parallelly in two languages – Kannada and English
- A contestant can submit only one entry in total. Multiple entries after the first one will be automatically rejected.
- The write up must be the original work of the contestant and should NOT have been submitted elsewhere prior to, or within after 3 months from the date of submitting it for the contest.
- Translated version of an entry would be disqualified even if the author is not the same.
- Only those entries submitted through our online form will be accepted.
- Last date for submitting entries is 02 April 2018.
- Oorvani reserves the right to cancel the contest at any point of time without any prior notice to the participants.
- Results of the contest will be declared by 09 April 2018.
- A panel of judges selected by Oorvani will judge the entries received.
- Criteria for judgement will include factors like how practical and innovative the contestant’s thoughts are is, the probable impact (short term and long term) of suggestions, etc.
- Decision of Oorvani is final and binding on the contestants. No communication in this regard will be entertained.
- Oorvani will not entertain any correspondence from anyone regarding the outcome of the contest at any point of time during or after the competition.
- The winners will be informed through email.
- Winners’ names will also be published on our website(s). In case the winner does not get an official intimation from us within 2 working days from the date of announcement of the results, he / she can write to us within 7 working days thereafter on the email id specified on the contest result page.
- The reward amount would be paid by a crossed cheque to the winners after verification of ID and age proof. The onus of providing sufficient proof in this regard rests on the contestant.
- Tax liability, if any, rests solely with the winners of this contest.
- Any failure on the part of the winners to comply with directions issued by Oorvani with respect to this contest, or in the event of any ambiguity / uncertainty / unavailability of the winner(s) could result in Oorvani, at its sole discretion, cancelling the Prize(s) for such winner(s)
- Oorvani reserves the right to change the quantity / denomination of the prizes at any point of time and as per its discretion.
- Copyright for the entry submitted remains with the author. The contestants however are deemed to have assigned first publication rights to Oorvani or any of its partners from the day they submit it to a period of 3 months after date of the results being announced.
- Employees and associates of Oorvani or their family members are not eligible to participate in this contest.