Last week, as you know, was a mix of good and bad. As soon as Dasara season was over, rains pounded the city, leading to waterlog. Two children, aged 8 and 12 respectively, became victims. A house collapsed and two died.
Some of these tragedies are surely avoidable. If you see any open footpath slabs or unsafe construction spots, do post it on bangalore.citizenmatters.in/data-tools.
A caution for the week ahead: Expect more rains, with cyclonic storm, Hudhud, expected to hit Andhra and Orissa by Sunday!
The Prime Minister of India has launched Clean India Campaign. Do email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the photos and write ups of sustainable clean up initiatives you undertake, we will publish it in a blog.
City news that matters
- Bangalore will get two more district commissioners, in order to speed up clearing of encroachments.
- Chief Minister has announced officially that waste will be disposed of in Mavallipura, which was closed due to improper handling, a few years ago. The village has not been able to recover from the old problem, and now have to deal with the dumping again.
- Trial runs have started on Peenya- Jalahalli stretch of Bangalore Metro. Reach 3B of Metro will start operating in January 2015.
- The central committee supposed to hold consultations to review environmental laws in India walked out of the meeting hosted in Vikas Soudha. There had been other consultations held in the city prior to this session, in which the public were left unhappy.
- It is official – different parts of Bangalore get different amount of rains, and possibly have different weather too. The weather stations set up by Pavan Srinath and his team show that there was 113mm rain in Hebbal on 8th October, while Jayanagar got only 44mm rains!
- Lalbagh will host a nursery mela on October 10, 11 and 12 — this weekend.
Guide of the week
Pic courtesy: newroads.ca
If you can share your car commute, you can save some money and reduce your tension! But how do you find the right co-traveler? What apps or websites are there to help – compare features and find the right option? Getting started with carpooling.