The Namma Bengaluru Awards, instituted by the Namma Bengaluru Foundation, will be presented this Saturday 16th of March at 6 pm at the Malleshwaram Grounds. The awards will be given away in a glittering event of music, dance and entertainment. Entry to public is free.
Total of 53 finalists in 9 categories will vie for the prestigious NBA. They include Prithvi Reddy, Arundhuti Gupta, Bangalore Traffic Police, BESCOM, Indian Centre for Social Transformation, Goonj, Kormangala 3rd Block RWA, Puttenhalli Neighborhood Lake Improvement Trust, Ashok Dalwai , B G Chengappa, BIOCON, IBM, Canara Bank and many more.
The Namma Bengaluru Awards this year will be conferred in the presence of eminent Bengalureans and jury members who will attend the much anticipated event. Other dignitaries who are expected to attend the event are Members of Parliament, Ministers, MLAs, RWAs and citizens of Bengaluru.
The Namma Bengaluru Awards for 2012 received unprecedented response from the public with citizens nominating more than 61,000 citizens of Bengaluru for the Awards. A 20 member jury, under the Chairmanship of Pradeep Kar, Founder, Chairman and Managing Director, Microland, consisted of prominent citizens of Bengaluru from the fields of art and culture, music, literature, law, media and environment. The jury, after serious deliberations spanning over four sessions over eight weeks, short-listed 53 finalists in nine categories. Of this, names of 11 winners will be announced on Saturday.
Internationally renowned audit and process firm KPMG were engaged as audit partners to ensure transparency in the process of nomination and selection of the winners.
"The Namma Bengaluru Awards selection process reached a different level this year. From the enormous number of nominations (61,000+) to the tremendous quality of nominations. It was truly a very difficult process to select one amongst the finalists, all of who deserved to win the award. It is truly gratifying to see the selfless commitment of these individuals and organizations, most of whom go unrecognized in their journeys. I am delighted that the Namma Bengaluru Foundation has chosen to recognize these selfless leaders/organisations, all of who are making an immense difference to our city, silently." said Pradeep Kar, at the final deliberation of the nominations today.
Bengaluru takes the lead
Namma Bengaluru Awards is first of its kind in India where citizens of the city nominate their choice for these awards; the event, over the past 3 years has evoked tremendous interest, enthusiasm and engagement from the people of our city. For the nominees, it is a tremendous opportunity to be recognized, applauded and encouraged by the citizens of the city they serve.
Music and Dance
The inaugural part of the award will evoke tremendous emotional ownership for the public. The latter half of the evening will entertain guests with music and entertainment that includes performances by Raghu Dixit Project, Vilas Nayak, Antardhwani and Articulate Ability.
Entry to the Awards function is free and citizens can come and enjoy an evening of pride, glitz and glamour. The entire awards ceremony will be webcast live.
- Dr Anthony Sebastian – Founder & Executive Director, ECHO
- Fr George Kannanthanam – Founder, Sumanahalli Society
- Jasmeen Patheja – Founder, Blank Noise
- G Manohar Row – Founder Anga Karunya Kendra, Bangalore Cares, Karunashraya
- Nitin Seshadri –Member, Kormangala 3rd Block Association
- Prithvi Reddy – Co Founder, Smart Vote
- Arundhuti Gupta – Mentor Together
- Kuldeep Dantewadia – Reap Benefit
- Pranav Raghav Sood – Student Activist
CATEGORY: GOVERNMENT ORGANIZATIONS
- Bangalore One
- Bangalore Traffic Police
- DPAR – Sakala
CATEGORY: SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURS
- LabourNet – Social enterprise that creates sustainable benefits for workers in the informal sector by offering them a platform to access services
- Ujjivan – Provides financial services to the economically active poor under the joint liability group model as well as individual microfinance
- Smt Pavitra Y S – Managing Director , Vindhya – E – Infomedia Pvt. Ltd – A BPO solely for differently abled people.
CATEGORY: ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES
Shri B N Vijay Kumar – MLA, Jayanagar Consistuency
CATEGORY – GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE
- Shri Ashok Dalwai – Deputy Director General (Technology Centre) and DDG (RO), Bangalore), UIDAI, Planning Commission.
- Shri B G Chengappa – Director KSFE,
- Shri Gopal Hosur – Inspector General of Police, Intelligence, Karnataka State, Bangalore
- Shri P. Manivannan- Managing Director, BESCOM
- Shri T Rangappa – Police Inspector , Banaswadi Police Station
- Dr. M A Saleem – Addl. Commissioner of Police, Traffic,
- Shri Mahadev Rajappa Sambargi – Police Head Constable
- Dr. Shalini Rajneesh – Secretary -Personnel, AR & Trg Dept, DPAR
|CATEGORY: Groups/ Organizations
- BOSCO – Reconstructing lives of the Young at Risk
- Goonj – Rehabilitation – Distributing Clothes to the under privileged communities
- Indian Centre for Social Transformation – E- Governance transparency in BBMP Projects
- Kathalaya Trust – Using storytelling as an education tool in all the schools to inculcate civic awareness
- Kidwai Institute of Cancer – Serving underprivileged cancer patients
- Kormangala 3rd Block RWA – Enriching the quality of life of its residents
- Mission 5 – A student initiative that supports underprivileged students realize educational dreams
- Puttenhalli Neighborhood Lake Improvement Trust – First Ever citizen’s group managing citizens group that was handed over the management of the Putte
nahalli Lake due to their effective restoration
- Rag Pickers Education & Development Scheme – Multipurpose Social Service Society working with Urban Poor, Street Children
- Shri Ramana Maharishi Academy for Blind – Addresses the economic development and social welfare of the visually impaired
- The Belaku Trust – Working with the underprivileged women and children
CATEGORY – MEDIA
- Hemanth Kashyap –Principal Correspondent, Bangalore Mirror
- S. Kushala – Assistant Editor, Bangalore Mirror
- Priyanka – Radio Jockey, Radio Active
- Seethalakshmi S – Metro Editor, The Times of India
- Shiva Prasad – Senior Producer and Anchor, TV9
- Shradda – Radio Jockey, Fever 104 FM
- Citizen Matters
- News 9
- TV 9
CATEGORY – CSR
- BIOCON – Social change and empowerment of rural communities through public health, sanitation and education programs.
- BOSCH – Focuses on enabling lives and livelihood through education and technology. Projects focused on areas like education, environment, vocational Training and health & rehabilitation
- Britannia – Effective Solid Waste Management
- Canara Bank – Focus on Rural Development, Social Banking Cell and has a Centre for Entrepreneurship Development for Women
- IBM – focus on Education, Healthcare, Disaster response, Economic growth, Urbanization
- Microlabs – Pharmaceutical Manufacturing
- Narayana Hrudalaya – Provide affordable quality healthcare for the masses