There is a road widening madness by BBMP these days. It is a clear indication of failure on the part of town planners. In fact planning is being given a go-bye these days!
There is a need to constitute a commitee of all concerned to study/research/analyse how to overcome problems of traffic in this fast growing city.
1. Metro operations are to be hastened.
2. Public road transport studied systematically for a smooth flow in dense area of traffic. BMTC should encourage daily passes by introducing more shuttle trips rather than long distance buses.
3. There is need to inter-connect inner ring roads, outer ring roads radially.
4. All parking of vehicles along public transport routes be banned, in order to create more moving space even for private vehicles.
5. With provision of slabs on storm water drains on both sides of the road, there is no need for pavements at all. All such pavements be removed making way for parking, pedestrian movement etc.
6. Most of the pavements have big trees with roots projecting above pavements, these are to be nicely bound-space between trees be made available to pedestrians after asphalting this area (this has been done with advantage in Gandhi Bazaar) why not replicate this in all areas without uprooting trees.
7. In each ward 1-2 percent road space be converted by marking for pedestrian use only, senior citizens cannot move on pavements, they are comfortable to move along border of the roads.
Much more can be done to facilitate movement of all road users in Bangalore.