While the first five films are the big budget films that either rocked box office or created a buzz amongst cinema lovers across India, the next 10 films either stretched the boundaries of their genre or are significant from a historical perspective.
Major Box office hits
- Dabangg (Hindi)
- Inception (English)
- The Social Network (English)
- Endhiraan (Tamil)
- My Name is Khan (Hindi)
Interesting films of the year
- Peepli Live (Hindi) –
- Kanasemba Kudureyaneri (Kannada)
- Autograph (Bengali)
- Pranchiyettan and the Saint (Malayalam)
- The Japanese Wife (Hindi)
- Aptharakshaka (Kannada)
- Do Dooni Chaar (Hindi)
- Phas Gaya Re Obama (Hindi)
- Pancharangi (Kannada)
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Gahoole (English)
1. The year of sequels: 2011 must be the year of sequels. Coming up from Hollywood are sequels to well loved films like Spider Man, Pirates of the Caribbean, Cars, Kung Fu Panda, Harry Potter, Transformers, The Twilight Saga, Happy Feet, Xmen, Mission Impossible. Not to be left behind is Bollywood with Don 2, Dhamaal 2, Dhoom 3: Fasten Your Seatbelts, Dostana 2, Hera Pheri 4, Rock On 2. Even Kannada cinema has a sequel to Jogi in Jogaiah.
2. No one killed Jessica (Hindi) – This film starring Rani Mukherjee and Vidya Balan has already captured interest as it dramatises the murder of Jessica Lal that shocked the nation and galvanised them to demand for justice.
3. Turning 30! (Hindi) -This film marks a departure from Prakash Jha’s traditional cinema, best reflected in Gangaajal. Yet Prakash Jha wears the producer’s hat in Turning 30!, which is directed by Alankrita Shrivasatava. It brings together an interesting cast that includes Gul Panag, Purab Kohli, Sid Makkar, Tillotama Shome, and Jeneva Talwar.
Tees Maar Khan ends the year with a whimper
It’s been a bad year for Hindi cinema. The trend continued when the hugely anticipated Tees Maar Khan failed to set the box office ringing.
While the script started out with good intentions, it failed in execution. Especially at fault were moments of humour that seemed too clever, and not spontaneous. The film was also let down by poor editing, with the plot plodding through when it should have carried the audience along with racy humour.
This is especially disappointing as the film is backed by stellar performance by Akshay Kumar, while Katrina Kaif plays to script.
While the music from Vishal-Shekhar and Shirish Kunder does set your foot tapping, Sheela Ki Jawani turns out to be the damp squib of the year. In this film, Katrina lacks that special blend of magic that has helped Bollywood divas like Madhuri Dixit and Mallaika Arora create memorable item numbers.
Be warned. The best part about this film is the credit list.
4. Dhobi Ghat (Hindi) – This much awaited film from Aamir Khan productions has of course been directed by his wife Kiran Rao. It has already created a buzz at the Toronto Film Festival and is being watched with much interest.
5. Mumbai Chaka Chak (Hindi) – This film brings together an interesting star cast that includes Rahul Bose, Ayesha Dharker, Mandira Bedi, Suresh Menon, Cyrus Broacha, Vinay Pathak and Suniel Shetty. It also already inspired interest with its vision of a clean Mumbai.
6. Noukadubi (Hindi) – Rituparno Ghosh ventures into Hindi cinema again. This period film brings together some of the finest Bengali contemporary actors like Prosenjit Chatterjee, Raima Sen, Jishhu Sengupta, Riya Sen and Sharmila Tagore.
7. Shikari (Kannada) – This film that is being made by award winning director Abhay Simha will bring the great Malayalam film actor Mammootty to Kannada cinema for the second time.
8. Delhi Belly (Hindi) – This is another production from Aamir Khan Productions that has set the expectation of cinema with a difference.
9. Hara (Tamil) – Rajinikanth’s next venture will always have the nation’s attention.
10. Ra.One (Hindi) – Meanwhile the other King Khan Shahrukh tries his hand at science fiction with Ra.One.
11. Hudugru (Kannada) – Puneet Rajkumar’s next is always watched with some anticipation.
12. Mareyuva Munna (Kannada) – So too is the forthcoming release from golden boy Ganesh.